Locating network problem

Thread: Locating network problem

Locating network problem

Hi,

I have just set up my first wireless network but have one problem.
    It seems to be pot luck whether my Laptop will connect to the network or not. Sometimes it will not connect at all, even when I place the laptop in the same room as the router.

It doesn't seem to be a signal strength issue as when it does connect the signal is usually "Excellent" or "Very good".

My main PC is wired to a belkin cable/dsl wireless router with the laptop having Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200 card installed.

Anyone got any ideas?

Welcome to Windrivers Woodster

What windows?
    Are you using wep?
    Are you using the configuration software supplied?
    Have you set the channel?
    Do you have a cordless phone nearby?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Hi NooNoo

I am running XP Pro on the main PC and XP home on the Laptop.

I have enabled 128 bit WEP which presumeably is working fine otherwise it would not connect at all.

Both the router and the laptop were set to channel 11 by defaullt. I have tried various channels to see if it makes a difference but didn't seem to.

And yes I do have 2 dect cordless phones. One is in the main bedroom, and the other in the living room. The router is located in the second bedroom.

I used the belkin wizard to set up initially on the router and then subsequently went in and added the 128bit WEP encryption.

The laptop has an Intel configuration utility for the wireless card, although windows seems to occasionally pop it nose in with it's own dialogue boxes now and then.

Cheers

OK, have you got all the windows updates on both the machines? The cordless phones can and will interfere with the connection.

this is the wireless update for xp install it even if you think you have all the updates.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I had the identical problem with my new notebook. Exact same problem. When I would then get fed up and shut down the notebook it would seem to also trigger something that reboot my router. Also other wireless devices would lose connectivity as a result.

Upon the advice of Netgear today (I use a Netgear MR314 Wireless Router) I gave my notebook a static IP address and it seemed to solve this problem. I maintained a connection for hours. I also disabled "Windows Zero Config".

The only problem was that after some time my notebook went into sleep mode and when I went back to use it the wireless connection had stopped. Go figure.....This to me seems like a seperate unreleated issue.

My System

Win XP Home
    Centrino (Intel Pro Wireless)
    Netgear MR314 Router

Quote Originally Posted by Bomberdude
    I had the identical problem with my new notebook. Exact same problem. When I would then get fed up and shut down the notebook it would seem to also trigger something that reboot my router. Also other wireless devices would lose connectivity as a result.

Upon the advice of Netgear today (I use a Netgear MR314 Wireless Router) I gave my notebook a static IP address and it seemed to solve this problem. I maintained a connection for hours. I also disabled "Windows Zero Config".

The only problem was that after some time my notebook went into sleep mode and when I went back to use it the wireless connection had stopped. Go figure.....This to me seems like a seperate unreleated issue.

My System

Win XP Home
    Centrino (Intel Pro Wireless)
    Netgear MR314 Router
    You might also try disabling power save mode, in the 802.11x card configuration in device manager.

bb
    System Specs

486DX2
    16MB RAM
    16 MB RAM
    1MB vid RAM
    Windows 3.1