I need to hand make a power switch for the motherboard, HELP!

Thread: I need to hand make a power switch for the motherboard, HELP!

I need to hand make a power switch for the motherboard, HELP!

I have a bunch of computer parts laying around, all of them are pretty decent, I have enough parts to build another computer. But the only case I have is a Compaq case that is several years old. All of my new parts fit inside it, but the problem is I cant connect the power button from the Compaq case onto the motherboard. The Compaq uses some weird cable connector to connect to its old Compaq mobo.

You know how on modern ATX cases, they have the individual little cable that are for power button, reset, HDD light, on board speaker, ect... Well is there a way that I can just make my own simple power button and then connect it to my modern motherboard? All I need is the power on feature. And I noticed on all my new computer which I assembled myself, that this power connector only has 2 cables, Im assuming just a "ground" and a "hot" cable. So when you press the power button on the case, is it just connecting the ground and hot cables, and that triggers the motherboard to turn on the computer? Or is is something more complicated then that?

I think I could make some kinda of button myself, but I just need to figure out how the cable actually trigger the mobo to turn on. If all it does is connect, or seperate those 2 wires that are within the power connector, then that seems like it wold be simple to do. Can somebody help clarify exactly how this process would work? Thank you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by coolmandingo
    I think I could make some kinda of button myself, but I just need to figure out how the cable actually trigger the mobo to turn on. If all it does is connect, or seperate those 2 wires that are within the power connector, then that seems like it wold be simple to do. Can somebody help clarify exactly how this process would work? Thank you!!!
    All you really need is a momentary-on switch like the reset button on older PCs. Radio Shack should have something that will do the trick quite handily. Or you could scrounge one from an old case, that would give you the advantage of already having the correct header pins on it.

so if its a momentary on switch, that would mean I dont even need a switch really, I could just touch the 2 wires together. Because the signal just needs to me made just once correct? So simply by touching the ground and hot wires together, this should turn my computer on?

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    Correct
    Sergeant WOTPP

Registered User imaeditedbysowulo's Avatar
    Tip of a screwdriver works nicely.
    WWBRD?