USB 2.0 6 port PCI Card
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: USB 2.0 6 port PCI Card

USB 2.0 6 port PCI Card

I have a P3/667Hz, 768Mb Ram, and 40Gig H/Drive, Running Win98SE with all updates. I have a ECS P6BAP-ME motherboard w/- Via chipset VIA693A & 596B, I have 2 USB 1.1 ports on board. I have installed a Ali 6 port Usb Pci card and now run my scanner & printer through the card without problem. My problem is when I attach my Kingston USB 2.0 Flash drive I get an problem. On investegating the Device manager I found the following error "The device is either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installed. (Code 10). Try upgrading drivers. When I do this using the CD supplied with the card I get a message that the best driver is already installed. I can not use the USB flash drive with the USB 2.0 card yet it works fine in the on board USB 1.1. I did install the usb flash drive before the USB card, because I first installed a self powered USB Hub but the flash drive kept crashing the Hub requiring reboot to get the hub back up. So I was then told to install the USB PCI Card. Is the a driver conflict? Should I unintall the card and the Flash drive and the install the card first, then install the drivers for the Flash drive. Any suggestions will be most welcome, and thanks for your site. P.S. Card is an Ali M5273 A1, I have installed lastest driver update (AliEHCI_159) still same problem. Also noticed that my USB 1 Flash drive works in the USB 2.0 but if copying large files it will lock up the system. Any Ideas?
    Last edited by pashka_c; August 3rd, 2004 at 02:36 AM.

Welcome to Windrivers pashka_c

First thing to do is load the via hyperion from here click the link on the left to drivers. You don't want the very latest, but the 2nd lot shown on the screen.

Yes it's very possible that you have got a driver conflict. Boot into safe mode and check that the device manager is not showing the flash drive in device manager. After that you need to check in the registry.

Start, run, regedit. File Export and export the entire registry to somwehre easy to find such as c:\myreg.reg as a backup incase things go horribly wrong.

Edit, find and type in what windows calls the flash drive... for instance if it is recognised as kingston, then type in kingston and click find next. Delete the registry entries for the flash drive. Restart and try your flash drive only in the usb 2 ports.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Welcome to Windrivers pashka_c

First thing to do is load the via hyperion from here click the link on the left to drivers. You don't want the very latest, but the 2nd lot shown on the screen.

Yes it's very possible that you have got a driver conflict. Boot into safe mode and check that the device manager is not showing the flash drive in device manager. After that you need to check in the registry.

Start, run, regedit. File Export and export the entire registry to somwehre easy to find such as c:\myreg.reg as a backup incase things go horribly wrong.

Edit, find and type in what windows calls the flash drive... for instance if it is recognised as kingston, then type in kingston and click find next. Delete the registry entries for the flash drive. Restart and try your flash drive only in the usb 2 ports.
    Thank you for your quick reply. I have gone to the Via Drivers Menu Page but I am unclear on which drivers you mean. Could you please clarify. Is it the USB drivers you mean. If so reading the documentation it states the fix is not suitable for USB 2.0.
    Thanks again

The ones marked Hyperion 4 in 1 drivers. Your motherboard devices (which includes the pci slots) need to be driven correctly.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

The ones marked Hyperion 4 in 1 drivers. Your motherboard devices (which includes the pci slots) need to be driven correctly.
    Are these the drivers your talking about, see below
    Retro chipset drivers
    Operating System Any Microsoft Windows 32 bit Operating system (Win95/98/98SE/WinME/Win2K/WinXP), except Windows Server 2003
    VIA Chipset MVP#, Apollo Pro## series, KT1##, KN1##, KM1##, KT2##, KN2##, KM2##, P4X2##, P4X3##, P4M2##
    The correct driver VIA 4in1 version 4.43 or the latest VIA Hyperion 4in1 drivers (first table above)
    Notes: VIA Hyperion 4in1 drivers are compatible with any VIA chipset. Performance, however, is optimized for the more recent and the latest chipsets. Therefore some users of slightly older or legacy chipsets report that using the older 4.43 drivers they experience a more responsive system.
    Installation: To install the driver click on the link. Choose the "Save File" option and save it to your folder under Windows where you file your drivers. Unzip the file. (If you are using Windows ME or Windows 98 with the Plus enhancement pack, they have a built-in compression agent that will allow you to extract zip files by right clicking and highlighting "Extract All". If you are using WinZip or another third party Zip/Compression program, follow the instructions of the program to unzip the file.) Then double click on the Setup.exe file to run the installation program.

I think I may already have these, How do I check to see what version I have?

Thanks
    Last edited by pashka_c; August 3rd, 2004 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pashka_c
    Are these the drivers your talking about, see below
    Retro chipset drivers
    Operating System Any Microsoft Windows 32 bit Operating system (Win95/98/98SE/WinME/Win2K/WinXP), except Windows Server 2003
    VIA Chipset MVP#, Apollo Pro## series, KT1##, KN1##, KM1##, KT2##, KN2##, KM2##, P4X2##, P4X3##, P4M2##
    The correct driver VIA 4in1 version 4.43 or the latest VIA Hyperion 4in1 drivers (first table above)
    Notes: VIA Hyperion 4in1 drivers are compatible with any VIA chipset. Performance, however, is optimized for the more recent and the latest chipsets. Therefore some users of slightly older or legacy chipsets report that using the older 4.43 drivers they experience a more responsive system.
    Installation: To install the driver click on the link. Choose the "Save File" option and save it to your folder under Windows where you file your drivers. Unzip the file. (If you are using Windows ME or Windows 98 with the Plus enhancement pack, they have a built-in compression agent that will allow you to extract zip files by right clicking and highlighting "Extract All". If you are using WinZip or another third party Zip/Compression program, follow the instructions of the program to unzip the file.) Then double click on the Setup.exe file to run the installation program.

I think I may already have these, How do I check to see what version I have?

Thanks
    Meanwhile I have booted computer into "Safe Mode" then gone to Device Manager and found the Kingston Datatraveler USB 2.0 listed twice even though it was not connected at the time. I have deleted one of the entries. Do I delete the the other entry as well?
    P.S. This is what I found in Device Manager "SafeMode"
    Universal Serial Bus Controller
    -ALi PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller
    -USB 2.0 Root Hub
    Universal Serial Bus Controller
    -ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller
    -Generic USB Hub
    -Kingston DataTraveler 2.0 USB Driver
    -USB Root Hub
    -USB Root Hub
    -USB Root Hub
    -USB Root Hub
    -Via Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller

Many Thanks for your time.
    Last edited by pashka_c; August 3rd, 2004 at 09:30 PM. Reason: more infromation

Yes delete both entries.

As to the hyperions, download and reinstall them again.

Yes delete both entries.

As to the hyperions, download and reinstall them again.
    Do I also delete the Generic USB Hub that still appears in the device manager in "SAFE MODE" that was installed when I installed the Self powered USB Hub.
    Thanks again

If the generic hub is still connected and there is only one entry for the controller and the hub then no. If there is more than one entry or the hub is no longer connected then yes.

If the generic hub is still connected and there is only one entry for the controller and the hub then no. If there is more than one entry or the hub is no longer connected then yes.
    The self powered external USB Hub is no longer installed, so I will delete that entry.
    I think we may have finally solved this problem. I will let you know how I get on.
    Thanks again for time and patience.

anytime

anytime
    Bummer Bummer. Still the same problem with the kingston USB 2.0 Flash drive. Black exclaimation mark on yellow background. same error message as before, although this time add new hardware dialogue box did come up but can't acess or see drive in Windows Explorer. As for as downloading the Via 4 in 1 drivers. I went to the ECS site and located my motherboard in the archives section. There are 2 P6BAP-ME boards Ver (1.0) & (2.2). Both recommend installing Via 4 in 1 drivers Version 4.51a (25/3/2004). You have suggested installing the second on the list Via 4 in 1 Version 4.43. I am confused? If I install Version 4.43 could the be any possible problems with the computer?
    NooNoo, Now I can see why you sign off with your saying.( Never approach a computer etc.)
    Signed frustrated.
    P.S. I have read that NEC chipset USB PCI Cards are better than ALi.
    Is this true?
    Last edited by pashka_c; August 5th, 2004 at 06:06 AM.

Via seem to update their drivers weekly. ECS kinda update their site once in a while. Always use the latest via drivers.

NEC and ALI usb pci cards both appear to have the same number of problems judging by the posts here.

Install the vias
    Disconnect all usb devices.
    Turn off system restore
    Go to safe mode - remove any and all software from add/remove programs for usb or usb related devices.
    Go to device manager and remove any and all usb related devices.
    Shut down, remove the pci card
    boot to bios - disable ALL usb functionality.
    Reboot to normal mode. Windows should not start any hardware wizards.... if it does, you missed removing / disabling a device or two. Repeat until no wizards or new devices are found.

Shut down, boot to bios, re enable your usb 1.1 - while you are in there, disable anything you don't use such as serial (com) ports. Ensure that assingn irq to usb is enabled.

Allow windows to detect and install the drivers.

Shut down.

Replace in the usb 2 card (do not use the slot nearest the agp slot)

Boot to normal mode and add the drivers.

Reboot.

When windows has completely loaded the desktop (no eggtimers) Run the drivers for the kingston usb stick. Do NOT plug in the usb stick. Restart after the driver install. When windows has completely loaded again, plug in the kingston to the usb 2 port. Allow windows to find and install.... pray, cross fingers or whatever else you do!!

Once that is working, add back your usb devices one at a time - DO NOT plug in the usb device first, load the drivers, reboot then do it unless the software specifically requests that you plug in the usb device.

On a side note - usb devices use the next availabe drive designation - but if you have a mapped drive that can screw up the drive letter assignments.... so delete any mapped drives you have. If you have no mapped drives

Start, run, type in
    sysedit
    click ok
    You will get 5 notepad files in a window. Look for the command "Lastdrive" if it appears and the letter is lower than say M increase it to at least M.

Via seem to update their drivers weekly. ECS kinda update their site once in a while. Always use the latest via drivers.

NEC and ALI usb pci cards both appear to have the same number of problems judging by the posts here.

Install the vias
    Disconnect all usb devices.
    Turn off system restore
    Go to safe mode - remove any and all software from add/remove programs for usb or usb related devices.
    Go to device manager and remove any and all usb related devices.
    Shut down, remove the pci card
    boot to bios - disable ALL usb functionality.
    Reboot to normal mode. Windows should not start any hardware wizards.... if it does, you missed removing / disabling a device or two. Repeat until no wizards or new devices are found.

Shut down, boot to bios, re enable your usb 1.1 - while you are in there, disable anything you don't use such as serial (com) ports. Ensure that assingn irq to usb is enabled.

Allow windows to detect and install the drivers.

Shut down.

Replace in the usb 2 card (do not use the slot nearest the agp slot)

Boot to normal mode and add the drivers.

Reboot.

When windows has completely loaded the desktop (no eggtimers) Run the drivers for the kingston usb stick. Do NOT plug in the usb stick. Restart after the driver install. When windows has completely loaded again, plug in the kingston to the usb 2 port. Allow windows to find and install.... pray, cross fingers or whatever else you do!!

Once that is working, add back your usb devices one at a time - DO NOT plug in the usb device first, load the drivers, reboot then do it unless the software specifically requests that you plug in the usb device.

On a side note - usb devices use the next availabe drive designation - but if you have a mapped drive that can screw up the drive letter assignments.... so delete any mapped drives you have. If you have no mapped drives

Start, run, type in
    sysedit
    click ok
    You will get 5 notepad files in a window. Look for the command "Lastdrive" if it appears and the letter is lower than say M increase it to at least M.
    I take it that the latest Via 4 in 1 drivers would be the 4.51a dated 25/03/2004 on the ECS site rather than the ones on the Via site. Funny thing though the Version 4.51a is much smaller than the Via 4.43.
    Will try your suggestions once I get someone with a bit more computer knowledge to help me apply these changes.

Thanks again for your time.

The latest drivers are at the via arena site.

You have to check which chipset you have and follow the recommendations on the viaarena.com site.