No sound! Tried everything I know

Thread: No sound! Tried everything I know

No sound! Tried everything I know

Hi guys, I have a sound problem I can't figure out. I am running windows98SE on a Celeron 400 wih Audio built in on the MB. The soundcard is Soundmax Integrated Audio. I tried to upgrade my system to xp and found That I cannot. I have been having problems with the audio since then. I get an error message that says cannot find AUDFILES.SCR sometimes when on the internet. I cannot play any sounds on my pc. I had some trouble getting onto the internet with my modem, called windows98 and they rectified it by using dos and cabs. My computer is sharing ICQ 11 with the modem and the sound. In multimedia, under audio I have 4 time the voice modem wave cevice. In system device manager I have under sounds, game controllers, The devices Soundmax, Joystick game controller, and AMR Voice modem audio. When I tried to delete the Voice modem, the computer will not let me delete it.. It keeps reinstalling it. I need the modem anyway to get onine. I tried to update the driver but get an error finding the smwdm.sys driver or something like that.. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to get my audio back? Any help would be appreciated!!!

Welcome to Windrivers Jeanne

Looks like you learned lesson number one, never upgrade, do a clean install!!

To your sound problem, you have probably got the wrong drivers. What motherboard is it? There are several sorts of soundmax depending on the motheboard you have.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Welcome to Windrivers Jeanne

Looks like you learned lesson number one, never upgrade, do a clean install!!

To your sound problem, you have probably got the wrong drivers. What motherboard is it? There are several sorts of soundmax depending on the motheboard you have.
    NooNoo: Thanks for the reply, I have the right driver as I used the recover disk for the machine.. Well, my recover disk was messed up, so yesterday I borrowed a recover disk from a friend,(we bought the same computer, the same day) and used his to install the drivers. Now I have windows sound back.. the sound bell is back on the taskbar and I can use it.. Now though, I can't play any sounds on my cd... I have tried directx troubleshooter, all the tests are fine.. the audio on the cd will not play.. it reads data disks fine.. Thanks... any help would be greatly appreciated!

This is probably the way the cd is trying to play.

There are two ways - one is analogue - a little cable attached to the cdrom is connected to the sound board. This is a simple straight through connection.

If this cable is missing (or you prefer to use the other way) then you need to set windows to use digital extraction.... this is a check box somewhere in your sound configuration, multimedia applet in control panel I think.

To check whether the cd is actually playing anyway, if your cdrom has a headphone socket on it (and most do) plug in a pair of headphones and use the play button on the cdrom itself. If you hear the music, the cdrom is ok, its just windows needs to be tamed again.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."