Same modem, different systems, different connections

Thread: Same modem, different systems, different connections

Wink Same modem, different systems, different connections

I just recently gave my old PC away. It had a Conexant controler-based PCI modem in it, which I put in my current system. By the way, the old dude was K6-3 450, VIA MVP3, 128 MB RAM, etc. I could connect with that one at speeds around 46666-50333. With my newer P3 667 (overclocked to a modest 700) with the VIA 694x, 128 MB, etc., I can only get 26400. Everything is the same, same modem driver, same VIA 4-in-1 package (4.29), same phone line, same ISP/phone number. In both systems, the modem is on IRQ 9 and COM 2, and there was no sharing of resources. My new one tears up UT and Q3, but downloads are sucky. What's the deal?

Have you been into safe mode and looked for ghosts?

Quite often there is more than one driver or more than port showing up in safe mode. If there is, remove them all, reboot and reinstall your modem from scratch.
    Never approach a computer saying or even thinking to yourself "I'll just do this quickly...."

That was a great suggestion NooToo, but it didn't work. I am connected right now at 26400 with that system. Any other ideas are welcome.

I just talked to a friend on the phone and he suggested I enable DOS support in the Device Manager for that modem. That, too, was ineffective.