quiet computer
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: quiet computer

quiet computer

I have a client that wants a quiet computer for the reproduction and recording of hypnosis sessions with her patients. I set her up with a dell inspiron 3550 laptop and the noise coming from that power supply is too noisy. (or cooling fan) She would go for desktop if I could get the noise down. She has a 12 by 14 foot treatment room with nine foot ceiling. So far the recording are good for background noise, but the damn computer is distracting her, not the patient. I have bought those so called quiet fans and they don't seem to make that much difference. In passing I hear this complaint all the time, but no one has actually specified a change based on the problem. I can't specify decibel criteria here.
    She just wants it as quiet as possible. Has anyone actually dealt with a problem like this and gotten results.
    Thanks everybody, you have really been helpful
    steve

Why not a Centrino Notebook, very quiet, or a Small Form Factor PC, very quiet, try 3dgameman.com and go to the Video Reviews section, they have a review on equipment that makes your pc extremely quiet.

Thanks for the tips. I like that video review site. Into favorites

I go there very often, its the only site of its kind, i THink. Great archives, and you must see the quiet pc video, its got great stuff to buy and put on your pc to make it quiet, will let u know soon what video review# it is.

Antec Sonata

http://www.pcabusers.com/reviews/antec/sonata/p1.html

I don't know if they still make them, but I got one. It comes with one fan, I addeds a second, with two it's completely quite...you hear the CPU fan more than you hear the case fan...pluse the outside is very classy...

Easiest way may be to make a cabinet for the unit with a remote.

These help:
    Vantec stealth fans for extra cooling.
    Thermaltake silent truepower.
    Fortron quiet PSU turned down on low.
    Dynamat sound dampening material (like tar). Gets rid of any high pitched noise that comes from the machine.

I can hear a lot of the high pitched whine coming from things that some people (well, most people) never hear. See if it's the whine of the high speed fans or the HDD's or if it's the sound of the air moving through the case that's bothering her.

I agree with Ya-Know about the Antec cases. They have rubber grommits (that the right word) for the HDD's that cushion them and take vibration away.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovetheusers
    These help:
    Vantec stealth fans for extra cooling.
    Thermaltake silent truepower.
    Fortron quiet PSU turned down on low.
    Dynamat sound dampening material (like tar). Gets rid of any high pitched noise that comes from the machine.

I can hear a lot of the high pitched whine coming from things that some people (well, most people) never hear. See if it's the whine of the high speed fans or the HDD's or if it's the sound of the air moving through the case that's bothering her.

I agree with Ya-Know about the Antec cases. They have rubber grommits (that the right word) for the HDD's that cushion them and take vibration away.
    I never thought about putting the tower outside of the room. Can anybody point me in the right direction for the remote interface? thanks for everybody's help. I've learn a lot here.
    steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I never thought about putting the tower outside of the room. Can anybody point me in the right direction for the remote interface? thanks for everybody's help. I've learn a lot here.
    steve
    What kind of remote interface do you mean? Put the computer in the room next door, and then get extension cables for the monitor, mouse, and keyboard, and then run them through the wall to her desk.
    "Tell me, and I'll forget. Show me, and I'll remember. Involve me, and I'll learn." -- Marla Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle
    What kind of remote interface do you mean? Put the computer in the room next door, and then get extension cables for the monitor, mouse, and keyboard, and then run them through the wall to her desk.

oh!! okay

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    oh!! okay

I found a good link for that antec sonata case. ya_know
    http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q1...a/index.x?pg=1
    sound and unique classy case.

There's this fanless power supply for starters looks a little cheaper then the silentx one.

Other then that I would explore water cooling. and/or check here for other stuff

400W silentx @$239 vs. 400W coolmax @$129 unless I'm reading something wrong.
    Last edited by craigmodius; August 7th, 2004 at 08:52 AM.
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded

That could be great for a therapist. Less interaction with the computer lessens user anxiety and allows them to interact more with the patient. Thanks
    steve