more Code 10..Firewire device
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: more Code 10..Firewire device

more Code 10..Firewire device

hi anybody?

Code 10 problems.....they definitely SUCK....I'm going start with a quick description of where I'm at.

I have two PC's.....both generate "Code 10 errors" when I try to re-install an External IEEE 1394 SBP2

BusLink CD_RW.

Both PC's are running Windows 2k Pro.

The Tyan Box is the newer of the two.....
    Mboard is Tyan 2462ung....This is a AMD Dual 1400Mhz.Processor Server Board
    1 Gbyte Ram.
    Came with no Firewire Ports....so an add-on Pci Card is required.

The CD-RW actually worked at least for a short while....Then, I crashed the OS..I re-installed over existing

OS....w/ new SID ...(I forgot I had a backup stored on it...LOL) So, I've been re-establishing new links, etc to

all my OLD programs......(most were in other partitions...but not all).
    Currently this box is nearly complete.

Service packs...yes up to SP4.....just chasing this problem.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    The other box is my Intel Box....a little older
    MBoard is a Intel L440GX.....(dual 700 Mhz processor)...A server board
    256 Kbyte Ram
    No Firewire ports...So add on is required.

This box has not been a problem....running fine. So I thought that if I could get the CD-RW to work
    on it maybe I could fix the the Tyan Box....

So I've chased down most every SP pack and driver upgrade I can find...Still no LUCK....except BAD

I've seen some suggestion for the ASUS mother boards where re-setting the BIOS was successful for a

similar CODE 10 problem (different device).

I've also seen a successful Utility program with a file named "TOGGLE" (toggle.exe)...which was provided for

some Nvdia device. A guy in France has a FTP site.....It's still ther...so I down loaded it.

Haven't tryed it......

I've seen some discussion about a need for more resources (IRQ's). And some suggestions to pull all your

cards out and/or move the Firewire card to a different slot.

I haven't seen a real "Honest to goodness Fix".....

A lot of people have these Code 10 problems....some are USB...some Firewire....mostly different
    External devices.....

So where am I at now.?....Pretty much lost I guess.

If I haven't tried to correct this (Code 10) on one machine, then I did tried it on the other. Still no real fix.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

AS of now...I'm thinking to pull the firewire card...power up, power down, then reinstall firewire card.

First I'll try this on one box and thern maybe the other...
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    If I find a sure fire fix ...I'll be back to post it....In the mean time if anybody else finds a real SURE Fire Fix

Let Me Know...

thanks in advance, to any and all

ron_of_orange
    2:40PM, PST

more info associated with Code 10 errors
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Event ID: 9
    Event Source: sbp2port
    Event Type: Error
    Event Description: The description for Event ID ( 9 ) in Source ( sbp2port ) cannot be found.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++
    application error Event 41
    WMI ADAP was unable to create object index 2022 for Performance Library MSDTC because no value was found in the 009 subkey
    ++++++++++++++++++and similar+++++++++++++++++++++++++
    event 41
    WMI ADAP was unable to create object index 2136 for Performance Library IAS because no value was found in the 009 subkey
    Comment: Keywords: kbprb w2000mm KB266416

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

ron_of_orange
    3:08 pm
    pst

more Code 10 info
    this is from W2K file setupapi.log

This may be useful, or perhaps not.....I like too think that it shows the drivers being installed and or changed by Windows Device manager..

It also shows error 10.....occurring several times today. This Code 10 error is a result of Event 9 and/or Event 41...see in my earlier posts today.

Still no luck...

I did create one BSOD (blue screen of death) trying to reinstall the driver
    on top of itself....

Card has been in and out of the same PCI slot as of now..

+++++++++++++++++

So next I'll try moving to a different slot

Ron_of_orange
    4:20pm, PST

well I move the Firewire card...no help

+++++++++++++++++form a different Web site+++++++++++++++++

the following few posts describing same problem on an ASUS m.b.

Comment from shekerra
    Date: 07/26/2003 03:41PM PDT
    Comment

Go to Start | run and type regedit

Remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values completely from the
    following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11C
    E-BFC1-08002BE10318}

I was having the exact same problem. You suggestion worked perfectly. Thank you!!

Comment from rayandmel
    Date: 02/05/2004 06:50PM PST
    Comment

edvardr did you solve the problem as i just purchased an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe and have the same problem got the latest drivers form Asus but no go

Comment from edvardr
    Date: 02/10/2004 09:35AM PST
    Author Comment

No, I never found a solution. I have a addon FireWire card I use instad.

If you find any solution it would be nice if you post it here.

Comment from rayandmel
    Date: 02/10/2004 05:39PM PST
    Comment

After Hounding Asus they said the motherboard may be faulty and to have it replaced so i will let you if it solves the problem

Cheers Ray

Comment from BlindWolf8
    Date: 03/27/2004 03:42PM PST
    Comment

Hello all.

I'm actually having this same problem, only with an Intel mobo and CPU. I've never used my Firewire, but was curious about it. I can remember a few times when it didn't have the code 10 error. Strange that it would appear out of nowhere. I have XP Pro SP1. I tried the reg hack that shekerra suggested, and this lead me to my CD-ROM drives. Also, I have tried flashing my BIOS, but the installer keeps saying it's unsuccessful.

Comment from rayandmel
    Date: 03/28/2004 04:36PM PST
    Comment

Ok i got my new motherboard and guess what all was fixed and now firewire just works as to what BlindWolf8 has said thats what happened to me int errors so would not supprise me if it is faulty too.

Comment from BlindWolf8
    Date: 03/28/2004 09:24PM PST
    Comment

Looks like all firewire ports intergrated on mobos are having this problem? This has to be a problem with XP if its happened on multiple systems...it's just plain freaky! :-P
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +

my thoughts....???? I have to try the REGISTRY HACK perhaps....???

Some how I don't see this working either..

If anybody has a suggestion.....now would be good time

thanks either way LOL

ron_of_orange
    11:25PM, pst

Welcome to Windrivers ron

Code 10 errors are usually a problem with the HAL which is based on the bios ability to handle acpi. First suggestion would be to either downgrade the hal to a standard computer, the second would be to upgrade the bios.

If you have the pci card in slot1 you will get problems with it sharing with the agp card. All slots share with something, you have to do the slot shuffle to find out where it is happiest.

Some people report that these device will ONLY work if you format and install windows with the device already present.

There are a number of windows updates for usb/firewire, apart from sp4, what hotfixes do you have installed?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

hi NooNoo,

thanks for responding.........

I'll hold off as regards "Hotfixes".....and just say none for now.

I'm going to attach (hopefully a wordpad "doc" file) if it makes it OK.

It contains print screen shots from SYSINFO (winmsd)....no conflicts.

It also shows the OHCI sbp2 firewire host controller... as running.

It also shows a list of all my IRQ's ....I'm using IRQ 16...(not shared).

I don't think a HAL issue is at fault here...

If you see anything here or have more suggestion please continue.

ron_of_orange
    11:29am,PST
    Last edited by ron_of_orange; August 8th, 2004 at 01:40 PM.

Hotfixes may be the key, there a few which sort out 1394 and usb2 problems. here is a few to start with
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

..I'm going to attach (hopefully a wordpad "doc" file) if it makes it OK..
    Err so no you won't have - sadly the facility is turned off ! - the only way is to host the files yourself..

.. don't think a HAL issue is at fault here..
    Well since code ten means no resources available; it is ! (in a bios context) just whereabouts in the mechanism the error/misassignment lives though is a different matter so like Noo says anywhere from bios to hotfixes ..

Personally I'd start with bios, so clear nvram, then reset board, then new bios, then slot shuffle (different slots have different resources available to them) also make sure you have as much un-needed stuff as possible turned off in bios like comm ports etc, thus freeing resources & simplyfying the whole process (also make sure you assign IRQs to vga & USB if not done automatically{assuming you want usb on}) , if you are "using IRQ 16" then acpi is being forced to share something as 'real' IRQ's run 0-15, win 2k has this system of 'virtual' IRQs(1-50) which seems very problematical !

Cool

hi :to confused-ED

re: attachments out of order....whoops..I guess we'll save a load of of storage space if we leave this feature OFF...no hard feelings as regards this option.

Your other suggestions may prove useful, however I'm inclined to follow the leads provided to me throught the Events Viewer Tool. This may not be successful...but so far it's been at least a good lesson on the pro's and con's of Firewire.

to: NooNoo,

I've looked into the "Hot-fixes"....I had sort of overlooked this option...so it was good for me to go look at the rather long listing.

All Hot-fixes have been install per the the SP3 and or SP4 service Patches.

So then while at the Microsoft Website I plugged in Different Event ID's
    to further my investigation into this problem.

So, far I think I can ignore the Events 9 , 11, 134, 135, ...these are the Events that appear on my Tyan Box. None of these errors are of any use to the trouble-shooting required.....but are subsequent events generated from me trying to initiate access to a drive letter and perhaps an attempt to open a Folder.

Yesterday I did managed to Access the drive and open a folder and I might have actually copied a few "jpeg's" to the folder on that drive...

I'm not sure because I haven't been able to re-open the drive or folder with-out Explorer....locking up.....This will also cause Event 9....which is when the drive starts the repetitive spin-up/spin down cycling on a ten second interval. The systen then BOGS down to a crawl...usually forceing me to do re-start/re-boot. Event 134, and 135 are caused by me un-plugging the the firewire and or power cables....which I've done when I noticed the event 9 action.

The Event 4100 only shows up on my Intel box...

To re-cap on what a Event 4100 is ..I'm pasting here the Microsoft
    information here ++++++++++
    ++++++++++++++
    SYMPTOMS
    On a computer running Windows 2000 Professional, the following information about event ID 4100 may appear one to two times a day in Event Viewer:

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: EventSystem
    Event Category: Firing Agent
    Event ID: 4100
    Date: 3/4/2000
    Time: 1:19:44 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: NTWS2000K1
    Description: The COM+ Event System failed to create an instance of the subscriber {6295DF2D-35EE-11D1-8707-00C04FD93327}. CoCreateInstanceEx returned HRESULT 8000401A.
    RESOLUTION
    To resolve this behavior, use the Regsvr32 tool to unregister the Mobsync.dll file from the server:
    Click Start, click Programs, click Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
    Type the following line, and then press ENTER:
    regsvr32 "%systemroot%\system32\mobsync.dll" /u

Quit Command Prompt.

+++++++++++++++++++end paste info++++++++++++++

The above infomation applys to The Synchronization Manager....

I've done just a little reading about this....and it may or may not be applicable to my Intel box....It appears to be assoiated with a different "Class" object.....

Then there's one more Event......which I've failed to mention so far...An Event 2002 offers the following:

Unable to open Redirector Service. Redirector performance data will not be returned. Error code returned is in data DWORD 0

Dword , info I believe is the following: c0000034

Source: PerfNet

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

That's it for now....Still chasing and still hoping to solve this problem

I tend to think that stripping down the Mobo and resetting the BIOS is not needed...after all...I did actually get it do operate at least for a brief time. The Explorer locking up is bothersome to me...

I cleaned out Roxio EZCD Creator 6.....

And I've now used RegscrubXp 3.25...which did clean-up the Registry and allowed me to get the TYAN box up and running...however briefly

for now....thanks

Ron_of_orange
    8:36pm,PST

You know, somehow I think you maybe overcomplicating things....

Resetting the bios does not require stripping down the mobo.

Have you done the basic checks for spyware and virus? And before you say there isn't a chance you have a problem like that, think again!!

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    You know, somehow I think you maybe overcomplicating things....
    Definately !

Many of the 'errors' will be as a result of the info being presented to the HAL, running your reg cleanup tool looked to correct that info briefly until another connected key sent is all 'screwey' again ..

Suggest at the very least you follow the 'turn off spurious devices' advice to free as many natural IRQs (0-15 inclusive) as possible, this gives the 'bios sum' (when any machine boots bios is required to arbitrate all the conflicting device resource allocations referencing bios, acpi info {gets changed by windows o/s} & the devices themselves - what all the constant re-tards are about with any new equipment & drivers), the best chance of working out right

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    Definately !

Many of the 'errors' will be as a result of the info being presented to the HAL, running your reg cleanup tool looked to correct that info briefly until another connected key sent is all 'screwey' again ..

Suggest at the very least you follow the 'turn off spurious devices' advice to free as many natural IRQs (0-15 inclusive) as possible, this gives the 'bios sum' (when any machine boots bios is required to arbitrate all the conflicting device resource allocations referencing bios, acpi info {gets changed by windows o/s} & the devices themselves - what all the constant re-tards are about with any new equipment & drivers), the best chance of working out right
    ++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    _____________________________ ________________________
    hi con-fus ed,

Sorry about the delay...been doing things.

Briefly speaking the problem is still a problem...
    Although I think I may have a found a slightly better definition....this one from Microsoft i think is pretty close...

===== pasted below here from MicroSoft =======

Removable Storage may stop unexpectedly on a Windows 2000-based server
    SYMPTOMS
    When you use Removable Storage to manage your removable storage devices, Removable Storage may stop unexpectedly. This problem occurs on a Microsoft Windows 2000-based server.
    CAUSE
    This problem may occur if Removable Storage causes an access violation in Svchost.exe. Svchost.exe is a generic host process name for services that are run from DLLs.
    RESOLUTION
    Hotfix information
    A supported hotfix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended to correct the problem that is described in this article. Only apply it to systems that are experiencing this specific problem. This hotfix may receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next Windows 2000 service pack that contains this hotfix.

Version Size File name
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    20-Apr-2004 23:37 5.0.2195.6921 53,520 Ntmsapi.dll
    20-Apr-2004 23:37 5.0.2195.6921 170,256 Ntmsdba.dll
    20-Apr-2004 23:37 5.0.2195.6921 39,184 Ntmsevt.dll
    20-Apr-2004 23:37 5.0.2195.6921 438,032 Ntmsmgr.dll
    20-Apr-2004 23:37 5.0.2195.6921 401,680 Ntmssvc.dll
    19-Apr-2004 23:14 5.0.2074.6921 47,376 Rsm.exe
    05-Feb-2004 20:18 5.0.2195.6896 5,869,056 Sp3res.dll

=========end====paste===========

I haven't as of this posting gone after this "HOTFIX"......I have accessed the CD_RW...I even burned a couple of disks...I'm running Burning NERO....I don't care for Roxio EZCD creator.....and I do believe it was contributing to some of my problems.

My best description of the problem is:

Problem caused when attempts to access SBp2port device (Ext. 1394, CD-RW) creates Event ID 9....and hangs "Explorer"

I've been able to clear the "Explorer - hang" my ending the process thru TASK Manager.

If, I'm lucky the Event ID 9 which is usually generated at this time may not be repetitive as I've stated in earlier posts. It would sometimes do a repetitive spin-up/spin-down on a 10 second or 20 second interval

Then by re-intializing "Explorer" I've been able to go back to the CD_RW and "mouse" click the DRIVE LETTER, which opens the root directory of the CD_RW.

I'm closing for now...more later....

thanks for all considerations so far

ron_of_orange 2:55pm pst 8/16/04

Quote Originally Posted by ron_of_orange
    hi con-fus ed,

Sorry about the delay...been doing things.

Briefly speaking the problem is still a problem...
    So me too ! (been doing things !) .. err is there a question in this reply somewhere's ? - I'm all for as 'much info as possible' - but there are limits !

Can I have a 'summary' of what you are complaining about ? (I've gone & gotten confus-ed with all these cut & pastes from other forums ! & to some extent your 'style' of posting ) or have you now fix-ed it ?

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    So me too ! (been doing things !) .. err is there a question in this reply somewhere's ? - I'm all for as 'much info as possible' - but there are limits !

Can I have a 'summary' of what you are complaining about ? (I've gone & gotten confus-ed with all these cut & pastes from other forums ! & to some extent your 'style' of posting ) or have you now fix-ed it ?
    ++++++++++ +++++++++++++

hi confus-ed,
    not yet....did the hot fix...still hangs. I am currently pursueing solution through BusLink (manufacturer of the Firewire CD-RW.) I have a Case number with Microsoft as well...but time is on my side.

here's is a short description of what I can't do with my CD-RW without it hanging when I boot, or perhaps when I click on a drive to open access, or perhaps to rename a file, or perhaps edit a file, etc. This problem is repeatable on two different PC's...

Description of Tasks (unsuccessful) as presented to the manufacturer
    +++++++++++ pasted here FYI +++++++++++++++
    hi Buslink Support rep's,

I would like to research with your assistance the following options in regards to the use and procedures for copying "data" files to and from a PC to your External Firewire CD_RW.

The particular model I have is the RW5252FE

Equipment:

Items (3-devices) to be used:

Personal Computer (1) one: an intel (with dual processors) box running Windows 2000 pro/sp4 with plug-in pci firewire card)

Personal Computer (2) two: an tyan (with dual processors) box running Windows 2000 pro/sp4 with plug-in pci firewire card)

Buslink CD_RW (IEEE-1394a) with Wall Wart Power Supply

Tasks:

1 Create a new folder(directory) on a blank CD_RW (udf_formated) using Nero Burning ROM version 5.5)
    from PC 1.

2 Unplug Buslink CD_RW from PC 1, Firewire cable only (wih permission form the Taskbar tool)

3 Plug In Buslink CD_RW to PC 2, Firewire cable only

4 Copy and paste a file into the existing folder on the existing CD_RW disk still in the Buslink CD_RW drive.

5 Unplug Buslink CD_RW from PC 2, Firewire cable only (wih permission form the Taskbar tool)

6 Plug In Buslink CD_RW to PC 1, Firewire cable only

7 Open the existing file on the existing CD_RW disk, edit the file information, save it. Eject the CD_RW. Shutdown

8 Reboot, Repeat as needed, when needed.....until the Disk is full or re-formatted.

9 Shutdown

10 Reverse the sequence or repeat the procedure on either PC as desired.

11 etc

+++++++++++++++++++ end of paste +++++++++++
    The attempts to perform the above tasks is Cause for an Event ID 9

I'm doing something wrong...anybody know what?

thanks for your responses to date
    More later if this gets better sooner ....still pursuing

ron_of_orange
    12:12AM PST

have you read this ron? it is important that you realise that while it apparently is only talking about scsi controllers the documents says "although the source can be any controller name (for example, Atdisk, Atapi, or Sparrow" and therefore should not be put aside without trying the recommendations.