Serious error message when I try playing DVD

Thread: Serious error message when I try playing DVD

Serious error message when I try playing DVD

Hi. I'm pretty new to computers. Please help. I bought a brand new computer with a dvd player with no software installed. My first attempt at playing a dvd yeilded an error message saying it could not detect a decoder. When I read up in windows help menu, it said i needed a dvd decoder and possibly a driver (things I really do not understand) and directed to to cyberlink website, where I proceeded to purchase powerdvd se decoder for $14. I then successfully downloaded it. Then successfully installed it. Then when I tried playing my dvd, it pulled up Windows media player, looked like it was about to play, and then BOOM! It restarted my computer. Before I could get back to my desktop, my computer proceeded to check file systems on C for consistency. The type of file system is FAT32. It also showed a volume serial #. It seemed to complete the consistency check. Then when I finally got back to my desktop, it showed an error message saying: Microsoft Windows
    The system has recovered from a serious error.

It then gave me the option to send an error report, which I did. I then got a response from microsoft saying the problem was a result of some issue with my driver, but it could not give an specifics. The response is posted below:
    Error Caused by a Device DriverThank you for submitting an error report. Unfortunately, we cannot provide you with specific information about how to resolve this problem at this time. The information that you and other users submit will be used to investigate this problem.AnalysisA device driver installed on your system caused the problem, but we cannot determine the precise cause. Getting HelpDepending on which situation is applicable to you, do one of the following:· If this problem occurred after you installed a new hardware device on your system, the problem might be caused by the driver for the device. If you know the manufacturer of the device, contact the manufacturer's product support service for assistance. · Some software, such as firewall and anti-virus software, also installs drivers. If this problem occurred after you installed new software, the software might have installed a driver that caused the problem. If you know the manufacturer of the software, contact the manufacturer's product support service for assistance. · If you don't know the driver's manufacturer and need help diagnosing and resolving this problem, contact your computer manufacturer's product support service. · Updated drivers might be available on the Microsoft Windows Update Web site. At Windows Update, you can have your computer scanned and, if there are updated drivers available, Windows Update will offer a selection of drivers that you might be able to use. To learn more about updated drivers that might be available, visit Microsoft Windows Update. · For information about Microsoft support options, visit Microsoft Product Support Services. You can track this error report by clicking the Track this error report link. If you choose to track your error report, you will be notified of resolutions to this problem as they are identified.

Please help me! Do I need to install a driver as well? Am I juist missing a simple thing? Thanks much.

Welcome to Windrivers ogrejack

To help you we need a lot of info, please answer the following questions

What make and model of computer?
    What windows?
    If you open powerdvd first and play the dvd from there, does it work?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."