USB scanner problem

Thread: USB scanner problem

USB scanner problem

Have been using my Visioneer OneTouch 9000 scanner on a 2.8ghz Pentium4 machine under Win XP with no problems. Bought a new Dell 1.8 ghz DuoCore under Win XP and cannot get the OneTouch to work. I have used my original driver disk to install, completely uninstalled and used the latest drivers (for the 9000) from Visioneer: it works one time and then fails. It will not stay installed. Is there problems with older scanner/optics with the new DuoCore technology? I have followed the install instructions to the tee and the same problem occurs: install, will work once, then says "unable to connect to scanner". Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to WinDrivers, pstrulm.

I doubt if being a Duo would cause problems, although I guess anything's possible...

Dell systems have had some odd problems with USB though, have you tried using different USB ports? There are well documented cases of some products working on front ports but not motherboard mounted ports, or vice versa.

Thanks, but . . .

Thanks for your tip, however, after giving it a try (moving cable to front port) the scanner did load after reboot, but same problem after about 24 hrs and computer power-down. Any other ideas?

Install it, start it, Ctrl+Alt+Del, right click it and set affinity to 1 cpu.

Yes, setting affinity is a likely next step to eliminate the possibility of it being caused by something like timing glitches.

Also, Windows power management may be turning the device off and it can't recover. In the Properties for the USB Root Hubs in Device Manager, there is the option "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". You could try unchecking this & see if the scanner stays installed. If it does, it may not be co-operating properly with Windows power management.
    Last edited by Platypus; October 1st, 2007 at 10:44 AM.

We have ignition!

Thanks, guys. You're awesome. Followed your directions - not sure which one did the job - but I'm back to having a big 'scannin' grin' () on my face. Thanks and I hope to return the favor.

Banned
    Glad to hear that .