USB Mass Storage Device Not Recognized (XP)
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: USB Mass Storage Device Not Recognized (XP)

Hybrid View

Exclamation USB Mass Storage Device Not Recognized (XP)

OK, I have the folllowing two computers:

AMD 64 3000+
    512mb Corsair XMS PC3200
    Aopen AK89-MAX w/ 4 USB2.0 ports and, 2 1.1
    9800 Raedon Pro 128mb
    nforce3 chipset

other is

AMD 1.3 GHZ Tbird
    1.3 Gigs of Ram
    MSI K7 Turbo BOARD USB 1.1
    Via chipset

Both of these PC are running Windows XP with SP1.

The Situation: Both computers recognize usb devices: ie., mouse, keyboard, hub etc... But neither will recognize a mass storage device except for my Dell X3i PDA. Now the two devices in particular that the PC's wont recognize are my Fuji Fine Pix Camera F700 and my Jump Drive Elite 512mb from Lexar. Already I have untinstalled the USB devices twice. I have reinstalled the USb drivers and nforce drivers several times still with no fix. I have also cleared the registry values under USB and USBSTOR. Now the interesting thing.... In USBSTOR the devices are recognized and ID correctly as Fuji and Lexar jump drive (W/T/F????).

When the devices are plugged into the AMD pc's XP will at first say found new device and it will come up with the correct device name. However, immediatley it will beep again and say Generic Device or Uknown Device. These devices will not be assigned a drive letter in My computer, but if I type g: or h: I can get to the device and it works fine.

The big problem is once the device is in I can not stop it. When I use XP's stop device feature the computer will hang in a continous stopping state. It will wither crash my machine, or it will not be able to shutdown.
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Now, I know someone is going to say try it on another computer. I have!!, and the devices work completley fine! I use them on my work pc and laptop with no problems what so ever. Both the work Laptop and Desktop are Intel. The desktop has Windows 2000 and the laptop XP.

One more note the AMD pcs are using the same multi distribution CD copy of Windows XP.

Now if you made it threw my details and rambling, give me a clue please! Help!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to windrivers

Via chipset.... have you install the latest 4 in 1 drivers (hyperions)?
    What about the nforce drivers?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Probably and YEs

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Welcome to windrivers

Via chipset.... have you install the latest 4 in 1 drivers (hyperions)?
    What about the nforce drivers?

NooNoo,

Probably have the update Via chipset, but I will check, and I definatley have the latest Nforce3 driver set.

Spaz

What does event manager have to say about this?

How do they appear in disk management?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    What does event manager have to say about this?

How do they appear in disk management?

Device Manager??? I am not sure what your talking about please give more details.

Spaz

Hey NooNoo,

Ive read a lot of Posts in here. Are you the only one that responds to them?? If so thats sad. Come on people give it up!
    Spaz
    Quote Originally Posted by SpazTAstic
    Device Manager??? I am not sure what your talking about please give more details.

Spaz

Hey SpazTAstic,
    I have a simalar problem with a Olympus 720uz camera, I have just updated my motherboard, cpu and memory.
    The software is all the same as it was on my last system in which the camera (or mass storage device) worked fine. When I connect the camera to the machine it is seen in device manager and asks for the drivers to be loaded, this xp trys to do, but to no avail, The hardware update wizard states :-

Cannot install this Hardware
    There was a problem installing this hardware - USB Mass Storage Device.
    An error occured during the instalation of the device, the data is invalid.

This is on a system that has every win xp update downloaded including sp1 & 2, and the motherboard has the latest bios update applied to it.

I have a bare bones xp OS (no xp updates applied) on a diffrent Partition on the same computer, and guess what, the mass storage device, namely the camera is there and I can download from it.
    So does this point to a microsoft download problem? so If anyone out there has any thoughts on this please help me, my wife is getting fed up with me sitting at this "damn machine" as she calls it.

Still No Fix in Sight

Hey Guys,
    It's basically been almost a year with the same problems. Here is a run down on all devices that don't work on my computer that use USB mass storage device drivers.

Work When they Want to or not at all:

1. LEXAR MEDIA DRIVE
    2. FUJI FINEPIX 700 Camera
    3. IPOD - It will only work if I boot up the computer with it attached. Actually every device will work if I do this, but it will crash the computer if I try to take it out or remove the USB device from "Safeley Remove HArdware". SO as for a Bluescreen of death.. that is rare. However the problems will hang the computer and I will have to do a hard reset or power down.

Working Devices:
    1. Dell Axim X3i , this is the only device that works flawlessley that I can detach and reatach form the CPU.

2. I have a USB Card reader installed on the computer and that has been the only way I have been able to to use my camera by reading the cards individually.

So I have basically given up on this and I have tried just about everything. I will just get Windows XP 64 eventually and hopefully it will fix everything. I may say "F" windows and go with a MAC, since I have been using a G5 and G4 PowerPC at work and there great for basic computing.

Spaz
    Last edited by SpazTAstic; July 15th, 2005 at 06:46 AM.
    There is got to be more to life than be really really good looking. Am I taking Crazy Pills.

Hey Spaz,
    I fixed my problem!
    I copied the old driver files from the un-updated version of xp I have on my machine to the fully updated version I use on a day to day basis.
    The files and locations are below:-

(Storage volumes\\Generic volume)
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\volsnap.sys
    File version 5.1.2600.218
    File date 26/10/2001

(USB Mass Storage Device)
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\usbstor.sys
    File date 1/7/2001

The old files are some 3 years older than the updated ones but they do work.
    If you dont have the files I can email them to you.
    Last edited by xpman; July 23rd, 2005 at 03:12 AM.

Talking thanks!

XP,
    Please send the files to my email. I only have updated pcs.

thanks,
    spaz
    There is got to be more to life than be really really good looking. Am I taking Crazy Pills.

HI. Does anyone have the old versions of these drivers? I have the same problem and am really frustrated with the usb mass storage device (a 160GB external harddrive) not working. Thanks,

-Ian

Quote Originally Posted by xpman
    Hey Spaz,
    I fixed my problem!
    I copied the old driver files from the un-updated version of xp I have on my machine to the fully updated version I use on a day to day basis.

File date 26/10/2001

File date 1/7/2001

Quote Originally Posted by xpman
    Hey Spaz,
    I fixed my problem!

File date 26/10/2001

File date 1/7/2001

----------------------------------------------------
    Hi,

Can you please send me the files? I have the same problem. My usb 2.0 flash memory works with other computers but does not work with my computer. I copied the two files from a computer that works with my device. However, this does not work. Please help.
    Last edited by NooNoo; October 2nd, 2006 at 03:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Dai
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Hi,

Can you please send me the files? I have the same problem. My usb 2.0 flash memory works with other computers but does not work with my computer. I copied the two files from a computer that works with my device. However, this does not work. Please help.
    Welcome to Windrivers David

I removed your email address to stop you getting spam. The board has an email facility. These files do not need to be sent to you, they are in service pack 2 - what are your exact symptoms?
    Does it recognise that something has been plugged in?
    Do you get any error messages?
    Have you loaded service pack 2?
    Does your computer have usb 2.0 or is it 1.1 only?

Unhappy USB device not recognized Re: Mass Storage, and more

Noo Noo
    There appears to be a broader issue here. We have numerous USB 2 devices that are no longer "recognized" or are now "Unknown Device" happening on multiple computers. (ASUS P4S800D-X, Toshiba laptop).(XP-sp2) The problem seems to originate with plugging in a USB1 device after USB2 devices were/are already plugged in and working fine (USB Tv Tuners, an Hauppauge and an Adaptec and AcomData HDDs). It appears that the USB stack gets corrupted. It, further, appears the Pid ID numbers become confused. As if the Vid/Pid of a USB1 device was used, by the Vendor, for a USB2 device. Our ASUS with SiS7001 USB controllers was rectified back to sanity by adding in a NEC USB2 board which appears to have, somehow, restructured the mess back to correctness.
    However, not being able to do an addin to the Toshiba Laptop, we are still messed up there. Have tried uninstalling all USB drivers, then unplugging all USB harware, and doing "Scan for changes" then plugging in only the USB2 stuff but still get Unrecognized and Unknown issues. I don't know how to rip out all the applicable Registry stuff we see in Karens PC Profiler. Need some serious adult leadership here. If we are in the wrong Forum please redirect me (new to Forum protocols).

hey could you send me the files to my email too? i'm having the same problem. Thanks