USB Mass Storage Device Not Recognized (XP) - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: USB Mass Storage Device Not Recognized (XP)

Unhappy Generic Storage Devices

Ok,

Now I am worried. I can not remove the Generic Devices from the Device Manager anymore. There are consistently 4 on there, if I uninstall them it acts like nothing happened on restart.

I hope I dont have to format!

Spaz
    There is got to be more to life than be really really good looking. Am I taking Crazy Pills.

Confus-ed was trying to help you understand that people with Cerebal Palsey are not stupid, thick or otherwise mentally challenged. Your name is a misnoma

And you can try this before formatting
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Name

Look all I want is help. I dont give a crap about what a Spaz means. IF changing my name will end this debate I will do so. Can I change my name or do I have to create a new account?
    Spaz
    There is got to be more to life than be really really good looking. Am I taking Crazy Pills.

Ok,

Things are worse, I just got home and turned my PC on now it is only recognizing half of the actual memory. I have no clue as to what is causing this I have flashed and downgraded the BIOS with no fix at all.

Spaz

Which PC are you talking about, now? Have you ever considered that the MB may be going bad? What other symtoms do you have? Anything other problems? Have you run Sisoft Sandra and checked out what it recommends?
    How much ram do you have? And, how much is recognized now? When did ALL these problems start? How recently?

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    Which PC are you talking about, now? Have you ever considered that the MB may be going bad? What other symtoms do you have? Anything other problems? Have you run Sisoft Sandra and checked out what it recommends?
    How much ram do you have? And, how much is recognized now? When did ALL these problems start? How recently?
    This is the AK89MX MOBO
    AMD 64 3000+
    Corsair XMS 512mb PC3200 C2

The memory used to read and post to 512mb and just today it stopped and is posting no higher than 256mb. Either the memory is bad or the mother board is bad. Or both.What do you think?
    Thanks

More Developments

Quote Originally Posted by SpazTAstic
    This is the AK89MX MOBO
    AMD 64 3000+
    Corsair XMS 512mb PC3200 C2

The memory used to read and post to 512mb and just today it stopped and is posting no higher than 256mb. Either the memory is bad or the mother board is bad. Or both.What do you think?
    Thanks

Alright Im pretty sure the motherboard is bad because I tested the memory at work and it ran fine. However, I will be RMAing both of them to newegg.com.

Let me know what you think.

Spaz

Checksum Error = RMA

Ok I got a new lithium ion battery for the mother board as suggested on another forum.

I tried it and still no luck, the bios is definatley a chrispy critter. So the motherboard is off to new egg again. I guess I may have had a power surge or it was just dying.

Spaz

OK nEW MOBO and still broke

Alright my new motherboard is in and I am still gettinga checksum error.So which is it a memory error or CPU?
    Spaz

Ok I got a new lithium ion battery for the mother board as suggested on another forum.

I tried it and still no luck, the bios is definatley a chrispy critter. So the motherboard is off to new egg again. I guess I may have had a power surge or it was just dying.

Spaz

neither - it's a bios self checking error.

Have you reset the bios with the jumper?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Yes Several Times!!!

Yes I have reset it many times. I figured it out the memory was fried to a crisp. I got new OCZ memory and everything is working fine. I will be RMAing the Corsair MEm.

Yes I have reset it many times. I figured it out the memory was fried to a crisp. I got new OCZ memory and everything is working fine. I will be RMAing the Corsair MEm.
    ..pretty sure the motherboard is bad because I tested the memory at work and it ran fine. However, I will be RMAing both of them to newegg.com.
    Made your mind up now then huh ? For 'explanation' my moneys on this ..

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    neither - it's a bios self checking error.
    DDR 400 is fussy enough with timings etc at the best of times, but on socket 754 worse still (so that's for 'cheapo' 64/32 bit 'athlon 64s' as opposed to the 'real' 64/64 bit ones - they have more pins & a different socket assembly), check what the motherboard is specifying as 'suitable' memory, usually there's a very short list (You may get lucky with other brands cheaper, but they again you mayn't! )

After all the trouble I have been to, the main problem (USB recognition) still is not fixxed. It still wll not recognize my Lexar flash drive and camera.

Spaz

Did you format in the end?

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Did you format in the end?
    No I did not format, all I did was get new memory, and new motherboard. It was the memory that made the system die.

I may run a windows Xp repair installation, but I dont know if it will fix the problem. It may be my version of XP because both of my PC are using the same OEM version. Both the tbird and the 64 are having the same errors.

Spaz