USB Mass Storage Device Not Recognized (XP) - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: USB Mass Storage Device Not Recognized (XP)

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Did you format in the end?
    Is this not resultant from that 'muddled drive letter buiness' ? (the one you found me a kb for another thread the other day ?)

Btw for SpazTAstic : you have realised that there's two versions of xp besides home & pro distinctions ? There's a 32 bit version (the normal one most folks are using) but also a 64 bit version ? - If its that though, I very much doubt you'd get the same symptoms with both machines

Quote Originally Posted by SpazTAstic
    No I did not format, all I did was get new memory, and new motherboard. It was the memory that made the system die.

I may run a windows Xp repair installation, but I dont know if it will fix the problem. It may be my version of XP because both of my PC are using the same OEM version. Both the tbird and the 64 are having the same errors.

Spaz
    Please tell me you mean the same version, but different licences?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

same trouble

I'm having the same trouble on a clients computer. New Dell purchased in March. Immediately when I put in any Lexar jump drive (I've tried 3) I get the blue screen. Sometimes it will decide to work for a little bit before receiving the blue screen. It's really frustrating! Since it doesn't look like there was a resolution on the original problem I was hoping someone would be able to help. I have reformated thinking there might be a bad file, updated USB drivers and display drivers (they seem to be conflicting). I'm going to install a USB card and possibly try a different display card but if anyone has other answers I'd love to try them!!

Thanks!

I get the blue screen
    I re-read all of the previous posts, and didn't see a blue screen mentioned. What does your blue screen error say?
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

I can't remember exactly and would love to reproduce it right now but am not in possesion of the computer. I believe it is some sort of thread error. Also have sent the crash report and been directed to Microsofts site that has tried to fix it...followed the directions which were to go to my display properites, settings tab, advanced, troubleshoot, take hardware acceleration to None and uncheck enable write combining. This did nothing for my problem and slowed the computer way down so I put the stuff back the way it was originally and all is well that way. I've also gotten a blue screen and when sent the crash report in it says a device driver has caused the problem but can't determine exactly which device it is. I have updated my motherboard, which updated the USB drivers and the display driver. This actually made the situation a little worse.

Hey SpazTAstic,
    I have a simalar problem with a Olympus 720uz camera, I have just updated my motherboard, cpu and memory.
    The software is all the same as it was on my last system in which the camera (or mass storage device) worked fine. When I connect the camera to the machine it is seen in device manager and asks for the drivers to be loaded, this xp trys to do, but to no avail, The hardware update wizard states :-

Cannot install this Hardware
    There was a problem installing this hardware - USB Mass Storage Device.
    An error occured during the instalation of the device, the data is invalid.

This is on a system that has every win xp update downloaded including sp1 & 2, and the motherboard has the latest bios update applied to it.

I have a bare bones xp OS (no xp updates applied) on a diffrent Partition on the same computer, and guess what, the mass storage device, namely the camera is there and I can download from it.
    So does this point to a microsoft download problem? so If anyone out there has any thoughts on this please help me, my wife is getting fed up with me sitting at this "damn machine" as she calls it.

Still No Fix in Sight

Hey Guys,
    It's basically been almost a year with the same problems. Here is a run down on all devices that don't work on my computer that use USB mass storage device drivers.

Work When they Want to or not at all:

1. LEXAR MEDIA DRIVE
    2. FUJI FINEPIX 700 Camera
    3. IPOD - It will only work if I boot up the computer with it attached. Actually every device will work if I do this, but it will crash the computer if I try to take it out or remove the USB device from "Safeley Remove HArdware". SO as for a Bluescreen of death.. that is rare. However the problems will hang the computer and I will have to do a hard reset or power down.

Working Devices:
    1. Dell Axim X3i , this is the only device that works flawlessley that I can detach and reatach form the CPU.

2. I have a USB Card reader installed on the computer and that has been the only way I have been able to to use my camera by reading the cards individually.

So I have basically given up on this and I have tried just about everything. I will just get Windows XP 64 eventually and hopefully it will fix everything. I may say "F" windows and go with a MAC, since I have been using a G5 and G4 PowerPC at work and there great for basic computing.

Spaz
    Last edited by SpazTAstic; July 15th, 2005 at 06:46 AM.
    There is got to be more to life than be really really good looking. Am I taking Crazy Pills.

Hey Spaz,
    I fixed my problem!
    I copied the old driver files from the un-updated version of xp I have on my machine to the fully updated version I use on a day to day basis.
    The files and locations are below:-

(Storage volumes\\Generic volume)
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\volsnap.sys
    File version 5.1.2600.218
    File date 26/10/2001

(USB Mass Storage Device)
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\usbstor.sys
    File date 1/7/2001

The old files are some 3 years older than the updated ones but they do work.
    If you dont have the files I can email them to you.
    Last edited by xpman; July 23rd, 2005 at 03:12 AM.

Talking thanks!

XP,
    Please send the files to my email. I only have updated pcs.

thanks,
    spaz
    There is got to be more to life than be really really good looking. Am I taking Crazy Pills.

hey could you send me the files to my email too? i'm having the same problem. Thanks

Hey Spaz,
    You need to send me your email address if you want copys of the files.

And,
    ATAM if you read this, your email address failed, can you check you sent me the correct one!

Files

Hey,

I received the files and tried them... they did not fix anything. However, I am not sure who I received them from nor whether or not their the same version XPMan was talking about. Any Ideas?

Spaz

Talking Problem Solved

So i have been having the same problem and i tried everything i could find on the internet until i finally stumbled onto the solution that someone posted up in some backwash forum.

Aparently the problem is caused by some kind of voltage iregulartiy caused by just yanking out stuf from the usb ports instead of actually using the "safely remove function".

Any way long story short the soultion is to drain your computer of all power, basily unplug the power cable i went a step further and disconected the PSU cable to the mother board and took the bios batery out and put the jumper to the reset position for the bios. i let it stand for a couple of min poped the battery back in and plugged everything and the usb ports started to work again. first try just unpluging your computer and pluggin it back in if that dosn't work do the rest of the stuff i don't really think the bios jumper did anything but i did everything togather so i don't know what solved the problem but something did, remember takeing the batter out and reseting the bios means the bios will be set back to factor defaults so you need to set those back to what ever you had before.

sorry about the many speeling and grammer mistakes but i am in a hurry.
    i personally felt so stupid when this solution worked for me.

HI. Does anyone have the old versions of these drivers? I have the same problem and am really frustrated with the usb mass storage device (a 160GB external harddrive) not working. Thanks,

-Ian

Quote Originally Posted by xpman
    Hey Spaz,
    I fixed my problem!
    I copied the old driver files from the un-updated version of xp I have on my machine to the fully updated version I use on a day to day basis.
    The files and locations are below:-

(Storage volumes\\Generic volume)
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\volsnap.sys
    File date 26/10/2001

(USB Mass Storage Device)
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\usbstor.sys
    File date 1/7/2001

The old files are some 3 years older than the updated ones but they do work.
    If you dont have the files I can email them to you.