Cirrus Logic MD5660 getting "Error 629"

Thread: Cirrus Logic MD5660 getting "Error 629"

Unhappy Cirrus Logic MD5660 getting "Error 629"

I have an older computer. With a Celeron processor running Windows 95. I took a working Cirrus Logic 56k internal out of another computer, it was working fine. I install it in this machine with the drivers I found from the company. It finds it and makes the modem dial fine. It also hand shakes with the ISP modem. Then I get an "Error 629", it tell me to check the user/pass. I've done that the info is correct and in the right case. I've also tried remaking the dialer. I've tried a few init strings that end up cause the computer to not find the modem. I've tried modemhelp.com, .org, .net, the only thing I haven't tried was uninstalling the network components, which one of the pages recommend. I would appreciate any help, I've been fighting with this for some time. Thanks.

Hi somethings to check....

This usually happens when the protocol is incorrect.

Check under your dialup network properties that you are using PPP protocol. - unless you are connecting to AOL or to Compuserve - the you will need to check the dial properties according to their help files

Check you have the correct driver - Cirrus Logic make chips - not modems, so the chances are you are using reference drivers that are not working correctly. If you look on the modem for the FCC ID, you should be able to identify who actually made it. If the modem came from a branded computer, eg compaq, then you will need the drivers from that company because they "customise" the board and driver. If you need help Identifying the modem, either post the fcc id here - or as much information as you can find, or drop into the chat room and ask for help there.

There is also a dialup network update from Microsoft available Here

Sometimes your virus checker can be the problem - especially if you installed with it active.

Finally, it could be that TCP/IP is not working correctly. Do you have any other protocols loaded? If so remove them all in safe mode and reinstall TCP/IP afterwards. If you need the other protocols, reinstall them after you have got the modem working.

Hope you get it going
    Never approach a computer saying or even thinking to yourself "I'll just do this quickly...."

Thanks for the help. It turned out that I need the DUN updated. Got the update, and transfered it over. it's working now. Thanks again.