Combo Drive (cd-rw and audio cds dont read, Dvds can be read)

Thread: Combo Drive (cd-rw and audio cds dont read, Dvds can be read)

Angry Combo Drive (cd-rw and audio cds dont read, Dvds can be read)

Yeah so i dunno what just happened, i recently purchased a external dvd burner for my laptop (compaq) but now all of a sudden i says that some disks inserted in the (d drive need to be formatted or at other times, that i need to insert the right disk, in any case i was runnin a Teac DW-224E and it do longer plays music let alone read it, and i have booted a new operating system with no fixes, but now the cd-roms wont read either, the only way i can do anything is through the dvd-burner now, at this very moment i have opened up the laptop, and removed the player from the motherboard, my warranty days are up considering i just hit the 1 year mark for my little lappy, whats wrong with it ?? IDE cable not connected completely? im confused, normally i hafve no problems fixing it but even myself and friend cant get this one, unistalling and reinstalling driver?? i thought i tried it and it seemed to not work, any suggestions??, any would be great, especially those that arnt sarcastic, and are actually helpful!!

Welcome to Windrivers Trial_User

Please answer the following

What windows?
    You say no fixes - do you mean service packs and windows updates?
    What burning software are you using?
    What does device manager say about these devices?
    What burner make and model? Usb or firewire connection?
    What model compaq laptop?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."