DSO Exploit - Guaranteed Solution

Thread: DSO Exploit - Guaranteed Solution

DSO Exploit - Guaranteed Solution

After downloading a spending a **** load of money on adware programs that could not fix this problem, I decide to do the research and come up with an alternative. So by reading in the forums and trying all the said solutions, this one will work guaranteed. It does mean that you will have to do it manually.

The following are the paths to fix the DSO Exploit problem. Open Regedit, find your way according to the path to the Zones folders. Once you have found the folders according to the path, delete the 1004 key. Right click on the empty area where the 1004 key was and create a DWORD named 1004. Double click on the DWORD you just created and add a value of 3.

First Step

HKEY_USERS\.Default\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion\Inter net Settings\Zones\0\1004

Second Step

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Inter net Settings\Zones\0\1004

Third Step

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-20\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Inter net Settings\Zones\0\1004

Fourth Step

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-19\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Inter net Settings\Zones\0\1004

Fifth Step

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion\ Internet Settings\Zones\0\1004

Most excellent post sir. This is certainly something I have fought with, and many others as well I presume.

I would offer this however. Instead of deleting and recreating, you can simply edit the value and set it to 3.

I typically just delete the whole thing and close regedit. I probably shouldnt, but it hasnt caused any problems so far, and the DSO exploit hasnt returned either.

Another time-saver is to use Spybot S&D 1.3 (they are supposed to fix this in later versions), then when it finds the DSO exploit, do a right click on the entry and select 'Go to key' or whatever its called. It will open regedit and take you right to the offending spot without needing to manually launch regedit and navigate there.

Shal
    Common sense, isn't...

Welcome to Windrivers lordrazor

A shame you didn't visit here before spending all that money. The problem has been discussed to death in this forum. Your fix was first shown at spybot's forums and has been linked to from here on a number of threads.

You should add to your post that you need to have Administrative rights to change the registry and that it is best done in safe mode.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Could someone please give me a little bit more info on this? What does DSO Exploit do if you have been infected with it?

My brother is having problems with his internet explorer. When he opens his IE web browser his home page appears for about 5-10 seconds and then the page is redirected to about:blank.com. He can then type another address in the address bar and the new page will again display for only a few seconds before being redirected to the about:blank.com page. So basically he cannot get anywhere on line. I had him run Norton anti-virus and it did find a bloodhound.exe virus and deleted it. I also had him run spybot search and destroy and DSO Exploit was detected. I walked him through the directions on this post to edit the registry and now DSO Exploit is no longer detected on his machine when running spybot. However, he is still experiencing the web page problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Patch your box through windows update and get the latest Spybot...easy fix since the DSO is a security hole patched by Microsoft.

Joe
    AMD Athon 64 X2 4400+, Corsair XMS Pro XL 3200, XFX 7800GTX OC, Raptor 74GB 10k RPM, Abit Fatality A8N SLI