CONTRIBUTE: SP2 Problems and fixes - Page 6
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: CONTRIBUTE: SP2 Problems and fixes

Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

[MS-Patch] Update for Windows XP Service Pack 2 (KB884020)
    - This update helps resolve an issue on computers running Windows XP Service Pack 2. Programs that connect to IP addresses in the loopback address range may not work as expected and you may receive an error message indicating you cannot establish a connection. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.
    Last edited by TechZ; September 19th, 2004 at 02:08 AM.

I think I'd better add some Notes on DEP .. driving me nutz ! -

So here's a KB - Detailed description of the data execution prevention feature in Windows XP SP2

The operating system actually “implements” software-based DEP by helping to protect the same files that are protected by hardware-based DEP. By default these are system user-mode processes such as the following:
    Rundll32
    Services.exe
    Explorer.exe
    Winlogon
    SMSS
    So that lot are 'protected' by default (so this options on whether you like it or not) it adds somewhat unhelpfully
    Unlike a firewall or antivirus program, DEP does not help prevent harmful programs from being installed on your computer. Instead, it monitors your programs to determine whether they use system memory safely. To do this, DEP software works alone or with compatible microprocessors to mark some memory locations as "non-executable." If a program tries to run code from a protected location, DEP closes the program and notifies you
    & guess what ... it doesn't notify you at all ! :butt:

It will notify you if your program has the right error handler & you've got all the required services on to report that error, but thats why it doesn't work, the folks who wrote all these 'errant' programs haven't been listening to Billys Press releases & they are designed for how windows did work, & not how it currently does work ..

So if you are getting weird memory issues & you have no physical cause, then this is the sucker causing it ..

& here is a way to get around it ..

XP SP2: How to Turn Off the Data Execution Prevention feature (DEP) (this isn't how to turn it off 'really' you need to do a bit more - in the box of 'exclusions' add those system processes {referenced above, rundll32 is the 'main culprit' as sooo many developers use this to call things & save themselves some work} & any apps you think might be causing your woes - definately a chewing gum & string type 'fix' though !! )

PC-Welt (German magazine) has discovered a major security flaw in Windows XP SP2 when installing over SP1. The article says that 'with a certain configuration, your file and printer sharing data are visible worldwide, despite an activated Firewall.'

The magazine claims they were 'able to discover private documents on easily accessible computers on the Internet' and that the configuration is fairly common."

View:
    Full Article
    News source: slashdot.org
    Last edited by TechZ; September 21st, 2004 at 06:12 AM.

Taken from another site

Disabling DEP in Windows XP Service Pack 2
    A short-term solution to DEP incompatibility is to disable DEP. Disabling DEP is a security risk, and will increase the vulnerability of your computer to certain types of attacks, but no more so than was possible under Windows XP Service Pack 1, which did not include the DEP feature.

If you choose to disable DEP, we recommend that you try to update all your software and drivers to Windows XP SP2-compatible versions as soon as they are released, and then re-enable the DEP feature. DivXNetworks will be releasing SP2-compatible versions of all affected products shortly. We also recommend the use of up-to-date anti-virus and firewall software at all times.

How to disable DEP

To disable DEP, perform the following actions:

Click Start -> Run
    Enter Notepad %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Boot.ini
    Under [operating systems] replace the parameter /NoExecute=xxxxx with /Execute
    Save the Boot.ini file
    Restart your computer
    IMPORTANT: Save a copy of your original Boot.ini file as a backup before you make changes!

Data Execution Prevention may also cause other software on your system that has not been specifically designed for SP2 compatibility to fail. For more information on DEP, please read more about Windows XP Service Pack 2 on MSDN.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/security/p...2/default.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by TechZ
    PC-Welt (German magazine) has discovered a major security flaw in Windows XP SP2 when installing over SP1. .. your file and printer sharing data are visible worldwide, despite an activated Firewall.'
    So since it took a bit of following about to get to the answer I'll quote the 'best bit' .. as this is very common indeed, I see it everyday almost

..Choose "Windows Firewall" in the in the Windows Control Panel and the there the tab "Exceptions". Select "File and Print Services" and click on "Edit". Now you can see four ports which are used by the file and print sharing service.

To lock the service to the outside and keep it open for the internal LAN, you have to individually select and change its area with the respective button. another bug: The value for the area set by default "Only for own network (Subnet)" only works, if the Internet Connection Sharing is activated. If this is not the case, your shared data are visible worldwide. This error can be corrected by choosing "User defined List" and entering the IP addresses that are supposed to have access - the IP addresses of your LAN. A whole range of an IP area can be entered as "192.168.x.0/255.255.255.0", if the respective addresses start with 192.168.x.

WOTPP in the best way huh -ed?

Quote Originally Posted by TechZ
    WOTPP in the best way huh -ed?
    Pot & kettle .. if you'd read what I posted about DEP you'll see its the same virtually as you posted, whilst I posted 'cos one of your links is busted to make it clearer

..But yeah I do like the odd one

All links work now. THanks for the info. I actually posted the DEP stuff, because it got it from the DivX Forums, v5.2 is not compatible w/SP2.

I have found that my display will only work correctly if i use the signed windows drivers.

I have a nvidia graphics card and if i use the nvidia drivers movies will not play correctly, very poor frame rate and games fail to display all graphics eg the mouse will not display in menu's.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Whats the Specs on teh PC skiitz? Graphics card and the lot. Also what OS? Any Service Packs?

**TechZ**
    I have windows XP with SP2
    My video card is a nvida GeForce2 MX200 (64mb Ram)
    The video drivers are Nvidia drivers v4.1.0.9

PC: 512mb DDR Ram
    AMD XP 2100+ CPU
    ASUS Motherboard (A7N8X - E Delux I tink that is the model, it is close to that anyway.)

I never has any problems with video untill i installed SP2 - only the windows drivers will work correctly however they are no good as i cannot use them as they do not support TV-Out on my video card
    Last edited by skiitz; September 27th, 2004 at 07:40 PM.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_61.77.html
    This is the latest nVIDIA Drivers, they are WHQL,they should work fine, for VIVIO(Video in Video Out):
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/wdm_winxp-2k-Me-98se_2.20

IF prob still persists, remove SP2.

Tried them and no luck The video is still as bad if not worse ;(