Creative Labs CT4810 SB PCI 128 (Ensoniq ES5880)

Thread: Creative Labs CT4810 SB PCI 128 (Ensoniq ES5880)

Hybrid View

Creative Labs CT4810 SB PCI 128 (Ensoniq ES5880)

Hi,
    I have a Creative Labs CT4810 SB PCI 128 (Ensoniq ES5880) soundcard. That information is from AIDA32 diagnostics.

When I open up the PC case and check the chips out they say Creative Labs CT4810 and the chipset looks like CT 5880-DCQ

My system was fine until I thought I would reinstall Windows and my CD never had the drivers. This is an old system with inbuilt sound.

I have been to drivers.com and downloaded about 20 drivers for windows 98SE and none have worked, I am using unpowered inbuilt speakers. Does this soundcard need powered speakers because the sound is about 1/4 of what it should be?

I have downloaded all the wave tables and exe from creative to no avail.

Could anyone here point me in the right direction please?

Welcome to windrivers nzgfxguru. If you have sound but the volume is too low w/ unpowered speakers, then you don't need a driver, you need powered speakers. Check that you've got the speakers plugged into the right jack - there may be a different jack for unpowered speakers.

If you don't have sound then this should be your driver: http://us.creative.com/support/downl...e=Windows+98SE. If it doesn't work, try this WDM driver: http://us.creative.com/support/downl...e=Windows+98SE.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Thanks for the welcome hudsonsmith,

I only "tested" the sound with unpowered external speakers because the inbuilt speakers in the case were not working.

Do I have to get some special drivers for the inbuilt speakers?

Do the inbuilt speakers run off the Creative soundcard because I cannot see where they could be connected ?

Do the inbuilt speakers run off onboard sound which I am not aware of ?

My mobo is an Elitegroup Computer Systems id: i430TX-P5TX-A19C-00, name: ECS-P5TX-A

What kind of built in speakers do you have? If you are referring to the small system speaker, that speaker will usually not play output from the sound card. Its purpose to play warning beeps and the like for post errors. Some manufacturers, like compaq and ibm, set up their corporate models to play sound through the system speaker. Any other built in speakers would be determined by the case, not the motherboard.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Problem solved.

I bought some cheap powered speakers

Thankyou hudsonsmith

unpowered speakers

I saw a computer recently that had a checkbox somewhere in the sound control panel icon, or system volume. The checkbox said something like "boost volume for unpowered speakers". I've looked all over and haven't found anything about it, but it must be an option that's enabled by the soundcard driver or software. If anyone has this option, please post the specs of your machine - maker, model, soundcard, Windows version.