Installing SQL Server 2000 DE on Network CPU

Thread: Installing SQL Server 2000 DE on Network CPU

Installing SQL Server 2000 DE on Network CPU

Hi, does anyone have some really good installation instructions for the SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition. Actually, I know how to install it. The real problem is that I'm installing it on a networked computer. I already tried installing it locally but I still run into problems. Does anyone have any solutions for this or have done this before? Thanks

I'm confused...are you trying to install it across the network? And what do you mean when you say you ran into problems? Do you have some errors from the event log that we can look at? What OS is this being installed on? What hardware are you using?
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

No I'm trying to install it locally but the computer is on a network. Each computer uses a roaming profile. I don't have the error log right now but can probably post it tomorrow morning. I'm not really getting errors with the installation of SQL server. I guess I thought it had to do with something of the installation. I install with most of the defaults and it goes through. But when I try installing something like a starter kit from asp.net (the commerce for example) I don't get a connection to the database. I actually did once in my last installation, but following the successful connection, I got some kind of error that the user "BOATMAN5\ASPNET" couldn't be found (BOATMAN5 is the cpu's name). So it just cancelled the install. I know this is all very weird but I know it has to do with the fact that the computer is on a network. Oh I'm installing on Win XP Pro. All hardware is compatible as well.

This may be about permissions... do you have administrator rights?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Oh I definitely have admin permissions. You see this computer is located in an office along with 3 other ones. One of these computers successfully was installed and is running SQL server and ASP.net. But it was installed by a former IT guy. I saw the way he installed it and tried it the same way but couldn't get it to work. He actually installed it as a local computer user. I remember he tried to explain to me why he did that but I don't really remember. I just remember him saying because the computers were on a network, it needed to be installed on locally.

Smile

Nevermind everyone....got it working. Big thanks for your help though!