mouse problems

Thread: mouse problems

Question mouse problems

Hi

I'm new to this group. I have a notebook with Windows XP HE on it.
    I have a problem with my PS/2 mouse. It's not optical, but it is wireless and it has 5 buttons. It works perfectly except for the wheel, that won't scroll, unless I click it, but anyway it doesn't work as I'd like to (that is like a normal scroll wheel). The other two buttons are completely useless.

Now the problem is, I think, that the computerr "feels" the PS/2 port as an extension of the touchpad. So when I connect the device, it doesn't ask me to add a new one, and I cannot update the drivers. Do you think that trying to adapt the mouse to the USB plug, all the buttons will work properly?
    Is there any way to solve the problem with PS/2 port?
    I tried to look in the BIOS, but the only option I have is to activate or disactivate the port.
    I even tried to remove the touchpad in from the PC in the control panel, but when I reboot windows reinstall it automatically...

Miky

Welcome to windrivers forums chico75pi

Laptops can be a touch of a PITA with this , do you have some updated drivers for your mouse ? (if not get some or quote the exact model & someone can google 'em for you ) - what you need to do is force an update of the ps/2 mouse (pressumably showing in device manager) - click the entry, find update driver & point it to wherever any new mouse driver lives (so the directory where you downloaded/unpacked it to - if there's a setup routine in it, its probably best to let that do it).

btw those two 'useless buttons' most folks generally use for forwards & back whilst browsing - but you need a driver that knows they are there !

Thanks for the reply.

I tried updating drivers (I have the most recent), but the PC refus them saying that there is no better drivers to install. I tried manually, but th PC says the drivers won't match the device, this because it recognizes as primary device the touchpad.

I didn't say that the two more buttons were useless because I don't know what to do with them, but because they don't work, so it's completely useless that they are there or not...

I'm so angry...

:-(

Miky

Quote Originally Posted by chico75pi
    ..I tried updating drivers (I have the most recent), but the PC refus them saying that there is no better drivers to install. I tried manually, but th PC says the drivers won't match the device, this because it recognizes as primary device the touchpad..
    So this ain't so clear to me over here - you have two pointing devices or not showing in device manager ? 'wrong' PS/2 mouse driver & touchpad driver showing ?

Then when you try & update you are picking the ps/2 each time, not letting it search on the internet (we have a driver already), 'install from specific location (advanced)', 'don't search I will choose..', 'have disk' then point it at where the downloaded driver is ? (that's not very well phrased so I hope you can follow it!).

Turn off the touchpad in device manager then.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Turn off the touchpad in device manager then.
    Oh yeah that's a thought - ta !

So you mean just turn it off for now, while it detects it 'right' ? then hopefully once it 'knows' correctly turn it back on ?

Hi

I tried all the things you suggested before posting the first message. I always see only the touchpad in the pointing devices.
    If I remove the drivers and the device, and reboot, when Windows XP starts again gives me no time to install the new device, because it recognize the touchpad (that is built in the PC, so how can I turn it off?).

Why can't I install a new mouse? I went to "new hardware installation" but it seems that all that is connected to the PS/2 port is considered something part of the touchpad, so I haven't the possibility to tell Windows to understand that is something DIFFERENT!

I'm really puzzled, because friends with laptop PCs haven't these problems with wheel mice...

Miky

So I think there ought to be an option in bios to disable the touch pad, this however is probably a very good point to ask just which model laptop we have ?