Backup solution

Thread: Backup solution

Backup solution

I need your opinion on this matter at work we have a very small network
    we use Veritas 6.0 with Seagete tapes 4mm DDS data tape which work extremely well
    but now my boss is asking me to back up the data on a new Western Digital external USB 2.0 120 gig drive only because he doesn't trust the Seagete tapes I have already install this new drive and Windows has recognized the drive now my question is what is the best way possible to back up the share directory to this new USD drive I have tried the copy and paste but that those not copy all the files into the new drive any idea or software recommendations ?

Quote Originally Posted by natcom
    I need your opinion on this matter at work we have a very small network
    we use Veritas 6.0 with Seagete tapes 4mm DDS data tape which work extremely well
    but now my boss is asking me to back up the data on a new Western Digital external USB 2.0 120 gig drive only because he doesn't trust the Seagete tapes I have already install this new drive and Windows has recognized the drive now my question is what is the best way possible to back up the share directory to this new USD drive I have tried the copy and paste but that those not copy all the files into the new drive any idea or software recommendations ?
    Is this new drive going to be taken off premises each night? You don't tell us your operating system, but if you could set it up as a mirrored drive that would probably do what you need.
    The Moral Majority is neither.

Master Sargent - WOTPP

The Veritas software may do it. Set it up to sync the data to the drive on a schedule.

If the Veritas don't work try Second Copy 2000.

Mirrored drive sounds like a good idea, but I have never set one up using an external drive. I guess you would have to use Disk Managment and make the data drive and the USB drive Dynamic. Sounds scary to me. But don't take my advice, someone here probably has a better idea.
    Indeterminism. There's nothing you can do about it.

I don't know much about Veritas products, but I am sure that even on the older versions there's a hotfix you can add so that you can run your backups directly to a standard drive, as opposed to removable media like a tape. You may want to poke around Veritas's site, see what comes up there. Then you could continue to use the backup software, allowing the open files agent to copy those files, and set it up as a job, instead of always doing it manually!..

I know that older versions of Arcserve had a hotfix, but the newer versions actually have this feature built in...

What about good old ntbackup. That should see the drive. Then use scheduler well, to schedule jbs.

Excellent responsible from all 3 of you the drive is going to be taken off premises
    once a week as for the OS is Windows 2000 server I really don't want to try anything dramatic that can expect the server functionality i hope veritas is able to do it but I can't seem to find any option that will allow me to do a back up to disk

I thought about ntbackup what do the rest of you think about NTbackup ?

Quote Originally Posted by natcom
    I thought about ntbackup what do the rest of you think about NTbackup ?
    Boo hiss!

Man, I just checked Veritas's site to see if I could find something like what I was telling you about. Version six is barely supported...The're up to version 9, I'd suggest that you look into a new backup software or something...how old is version 6???

Veritas BackupExec 9 supports backup-to-disk folders, works like a charm.
    However your boss needs to be smacked, he will cry when the drive fails.
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee
    However your boss needs to be smacked, he will cry when the drive fails.
    True'dat!

We are still going to implement the tapes the USB drive is only like a extra backup

I don't think you need the power or the price of veritas. There are other less expensive options that would suit a small network.

http://www.tapeware.com/

this appears to have USB/firewire support and hard disk as a backup device.

there is always xcopy that will do it. may take a little longer than some backup software but it diffently works. the command should look something like this:
    xcopy c:\*.* f:\ /c/h/e/k/y

c:\ would be the drive you are backing up and f:\ being the usb hdd. you can always put that in a bat file and use scheduler to run it. the only problem with xcopy is it will copy your data but won't copy any of your settings for a restore if your system crashes but you will have all your data.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    "I've always been crazy, it has keep me from going insane"

thanks to everyone who reply i will test around on monday