Using Ghost to copy XP System disk problems.

Thread: Using Ghost to copy XP System disk problems.

Using Ghost to copy XP System disk problems.

hi -

I'm trying to copy a system disk, Windows XP pro from one disk to another. I've installed both disks, the 'original' disk is a Serial ATA, the new disk (larger) is an EIDE. (I know, why move to slower disk...long story).

Anyway, problem is I do the Ghost disk image clone, shut down and disconnect the Serial ATA and boot from the IDE. It boots up just fine, but at the blue login window, I get no prompt. It shows no users. I can't login as anyone. Doesn't even have the 'turn off computer' mode. I tried to boot to safe mode, same thing.

I also tried to do a full disk restore using MyPC backup software and I get the exact same thing.

What's wrong? Everything I've read says this should work, that copying a disk image should work if it's the same hardware/machine. The only difference is I disconnected the original Serial ATA disk. It's almost like it's missing a registry.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Perry

Welcome to Windrivers Perry

What happens if you boot to safe mode? (Press f8 before windows starts)
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Welcome to Windrivers Perry

What happens if you boot to safe mode? (Press f8 before windows starts)
    Yea, tried that and I get the same thing. Blue screen w/no users listed.

have you tried pressing ctrl alt del together, twice in quick succession?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Wow - so far all good info.

RE: quickly hitting ctl/alt/del twice - tried that, no luck.

RE: the post on the SID stuff. Yea I've been reading about that other places and I thought it might have something to do w/ this. But I also thought Ghost 'took care of this' w/ Ghost walker.

But wasn't sure. This is the first time I've used Ghost. Version 2003 that somes w/ System Works Pro. In their documentation they talk about the SID and that Ghost walker would 'fix' the problem. But I could never figure out if it was a separate step, an option I had to check or just something that it did when cloning the disk. If it's a separate step, then no idea how to do that step. If it's an option, it's one I can't find in 'clone disk' tabs. So assumed it just did the right thing. Probably a bad assumption.

From previous posts of people using Ghost to copy images though it seemed that just cloning the disk worked. I've not read them having to do the 'Ghost Walker' step. So again, assumed wasn't needed.

Perry

it's a separate step

You can just get the xp cd and do an inplace install - tutorial here It should not affect the programs, but will require the windows updates be reapplied.