Can't run antivirus software

Thread: Can't run antivirus software

Can't run antivirus software

Help! I'm kind of a novice with computers, so bear with me. My computer won't let me run mcafee virus scan,will not let me visit mcafee homepage or this tech support. I was only able to get here thru a link I had sent to me by my ex-husband. It appears to open virus scan for a moment,then it disappears. I have a Dell Dimension 4600. Dell online support directed me to housecalls.microtrend.com to do a scan to see if it can find ther virus, after attempting to download to scan, it was unsuccessful, and now that website appears to be blocked and my computer won't go there. Before this started happening, my computer kept finding viruses, alot of them with the word ghost in it. It would even find viruses fromday today when I wouldn't even be on line in between usage. mcafee has since been removed from my computer, as per the Dell tech, but I can't get to there website to redownload it. I'm leery of buying more antivirus software as I think I won't be able to use it.

Welcome! Download and run Highjackthis and post the results here and maybe we can see what is causing your problem.

http://www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html
    "Everybody needs a little help sometimes"

You might want to ditch McAfee and try a real AV solution here is a free one: AVG

It might be a good idea to go with AVG, as McAfee is (almost) worthless once your machine is actually infected.

It appears that you might be seriously infected, you might want to seek professional help if you cannot resolve this on your own, or with the tools we suggest.
    Last edited by tha 4NiK8R; August 23rd, 2004 at 12:23 AM.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein