WinXP SP2 connecting to Wap11 (first version) withouth SSID

Thread: WinXP SP2 connecting to Wap11 (first version) withouth SSID

WinXP SP2 connecting to Wap11 (first version) withouth SSID

Okay, here is my problem. I have my Wap11 connecting to my DMZ on my router with SSID disabled and 128-bit wep enabled. I cannot connect to it using my WUSB11 Wireless USB Network Adapter even though I have set it up correctly to connect to the SSID that I changed it to.
    Now if I enable SSID broadcasting I can connect to it fine. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for any help.
    Its all fun and games until someone loses an eye, then its just fun in the dark.

3 out of 2 people can't count.

I have seen this issue with the WAP11 several times. I have never been able to get to the root cause of the issue. It appears to be a bug with the AP. I have fired off emails and calls to Linksys with no satisfactory response. They may have something on their Knowledgebase now (it has been a year+)
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

Create a profile with the ssid visible - then shutoff the ssid and reboot the pc... connect to the profile.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Create a profile with the ssid visible - then shutoff the ssid and reboot the pc... connect to the profile.
    Thanks for the reply but I tried that didnt work.
    Its all fun and games until someone loses an eye, then its just fun in the dark.

3 out of 2 people can't count.

Quote Originally Posted by Packrat
    Okay, here is my problem. I have my Wap11 connecting to my DMZ on my router with SSID disabled and 128-bit wep enabled. I cannot connect to it using my WUSB11 Wireless USB Network Adapter even though I have set it up correctly to connect to the SSID that I changed it to.
    Now if I enable SSID broadcasting I can connect to it fine. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for any help.
    This is a known issue with Windows XP and a wireless connection that does not broadcast the ssid. Unfortunately Linksys has not come up with a solution and it appears Microsoft has not come up with a solution as well.

The only solution I have ever seen posted was to enable ssid broadcast (which is what everyone is trying to avoid for security reasons).
    Strawberry Fields Forever

will it connect without wep running?

Try mac filtering instead - safer than wep and no overhead !
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."