usb 2.0 card wont workwith compaq 2199us
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: usb 2.0 card wont workwith compaq 2199us

usb 2.0 card wont workwith compaq 2199us

I got a 2199us Compaq Presario and it came with usb 1.1 ports. I bought a usb 2.0 card and everytime i hook up something that is actgually usb 2.0, like my external hard drive, the computer freezes untill i take the card out. and even when i take the card out i usually have to restart. It doesnt make sence why a brand new laptop wount work with a usb 2.0 card. the card is made by belkin and i also tried an adaptec.

any ideas?

thanks,
    kevin

Lots! Welcome to Windrivers larrabee

First up, what windows?
    Are your windows updates all done?
    What chipset is the usb 2 card?
    Is it in the bottom or the top pcmcia slot?
    Have you checked at compaq for bios or other updates?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

ok its a 2199us presario laptop:
    winxp
    all updated
    bottom pcmcia slot
    no update for the compaq bios (compaq doesnt have one)

thanks

do you have any pcmcia devices that work in that slot? Have you tried (if it will fit) the top slot?

XP has an event viewer in administrative tools in control panel... what errors show up there?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    do you have any pcmcia devices that work in that slot? Have you tried (if it will fit) the top slot?

yes i do have some, my wireless card works fine and all. the card works fine if something 1.1 is in it but anything that utilizes the 2.0 the computer freezes.

XP has an event viewer in administrative tools in control panel... what errors show up there?
    lots of warnings are showing in the log, some say things like...

source
    _________
    disk
    ftdisk
    disk
    disk
    disk
    disk

thanks,
    kevin

OK, post details on the errors that happen when you plug in the usb 2 card and when the machine hangs... they are all time stamped so you should be able to work it out.

Also post the details of the ftdisk... this is for dynamic volumes so I am puzzled what the problem is

OK, post details on the errors that happen when you plug in the usb 2 card and when the machine hangs... they are all time stamped so you should be able to work it out.

Also post the details of the ftdisk... this is for dynamic volumes so I am puzzled what the problem is
    On the ftdisk it says:
    The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

and on the disk it says:

An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\D during a paging operation.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Also I have tried both a belkin card and an adaptec

thanks,
    kevin

Could you post the event ids for those and the event source please?

Both of these point to some kind of hard drive failure or misconfiguration.

Have you split the hard drive into two or more partitions? Have you used any partition management software? Ghost?

its not the external hard drive. it might be the laptop hard drive though. I dont know. I do know that the external hard drive works on all my other computers in their usb 2.0.

the ftdisk id is: 57
    and all the disks are :51

thanks,
    kevin

the poster usb2weary has a fix here that may work for you.

Also please look in device manager for any ! and while you are there look in IDE/ATAPi controllers and post what the 3 items there are

the poster usb2weary has a fix here that may work for you.

Also please look in device manager for any ! and while you are there look in IDE/ATAPi controllers and post what the 3 items there are
    I tried that idea and no luck

I am sending it into compaq to see if they can fix it. It took about 1 hour of being on the phone for them to do it. I should get it back in the next 4 or 5 days, hjopefully by monday. If they dont fix this problem i am going to demand another laptop (other model). There is no reason a usb 2.0 card shouldnt work on any laptop made in the last 5 or 6 years.

thanks for your help and i will kepp you posted

kevin

Please let us know what happens larrabee and also try and get a full report of what they did to fix the issue (assuming that they do that is).

Quote Originally Posted by larrabee213
    On the ftdisk it says:
    The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur.

and on the disk it says:

An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\D during a paging operation.

Also I have tried both a belkin card and an adaptec

thanks,
    kevin

I have a Presario 2195CA and I have seen simliar erros when I used my external HDD with a USB cardbus adapter. I found a XP patch that fixed it. I don't have the kb# off hand but I'll post once I get home. Not sure if its too late since you've already sent your notebook to Compaq.

Welcome to Windrivers arlaw, post it anyway, for every one that registers, there will be another 10 reading.

Welcome to Windrivers arlaw, post it anyway, for every one that registers, there will be another 10 reading.
    For those waiting, sorry about the delay. The update is documented in MS kb822603. It's a USB update for XP SP1. It also fixed a "Delayed Write Failed" error I was experiencing when I used my external HDD. Hope this helps.