Hyper threading problems
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hyper threading problems

Hyper threading problems

Just installed an intel 2.8E into a ASUS P4C800 Deluxe, there are two processors in device manager, but I am unable to show two processors in task manager.

I have already tried formatting to see if this would pick up the change from my old processor, but this has not worked. Im looking for any suggestions.

Is this home or pro? Sp1 installed?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Is this home or pro? Sp1 installed?
    I am running home and I have SP1 installed

XP Home Edition doesn't support SMP (multiple processors) which is what HT is by using (somewhat emulated) two cores.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;810231

According to Microsoft, both XP Home and Pro support Hyperthreading
    W

Quote Originally Posted by Diver01

Check this article out on MS site, Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 309283

here is article 309283

It does not seem to make a distinction between home and pro - but yes, the hal installed will have a bearing on the problem. What hal is installed?

BTW you have set task manager to show cpus in two graphs?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Make sure the HT option is turned on in the bios. I believe asus allows you to turn this feature off and may be set to off since your previous processor was not HT enabled. Also look here to turn SMP on in Windows without reloading:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;234558
    You Know!?!.....That Little Button that SAYS "Start" in the lower left hand corner!

Hyper threading is turned on in the BIOS, and it seems that the only option that I can select under the computer section of device manager is Advanced Configuration and Power Interface(ACPI) PC, which when i looked at the web site listed in the last post, says that it is used for a single porcessor motherboard with single processor ACPI computer.

I will double check to see if i can up date the motherboard drivers and BIOS, and hopefully that will work out.

Hyper threading is turned on in the BIOS, and i tried updating the motherboard drivers, but that did not help.

Under the computer section of device manager it says that it is using Advanced Configuration Power Interface(ACPI) PC, which when I looked at the link listed above, shows that this is to be used for a single processor motherboard with single processor ACPI computers. It will not let me choose another option for this setting, even when I update that driver. Just double checking, I looked at the asus site, and my motherboard does support Hyper Threading

Quote Originally Posted by Diver01

I can vouch for that. I have the same setup as the guy in teh first post here. 2.8GHz P4 w/HT and Asus P4C800 Deluxe with WinXP Home. Works fine. I did SP1, then Rollup one, then some streaming updates,... then installed SP2,.. all in that exact order and have no problems.

Could be a possible bios setting causing the problem?
    Hello World

If you are showing 2 processors in device manager, I suspect HT is working. Intel has a HT test utility: http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri...n&submit=Go%21

In task manager, go to View/CPU History and make sure One Graph Per CPU is selected.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

It is showing two processors in device manager, but it will not let me select to display one graph per cpu, the option is grayed out.

And I have already downloaded the test utility, but it is giving and error when it checks the BIOS. I have already tried to update the motherboard drivers, but this has not helped.

You have the latest bios? There is an update dated 8/5. There are also references to the version of the bios update tool (afudos) required.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

I have the latest version, and i have downloaded the file afudos. So far there are no other problems with the BIOS.