Documents folder for another user

Thread: Documents folder for another user

Documents folder for another user

Our summer intern left last week. When he left, his user ID was disabled in the network. Problem is, he never sent all his work files over to us, and now, I can't get into his My Documents folder, my access is denied. I don't have Admin on the PC. I need the files today, and if I have to open up a ticket, I won't get it until Thursday. Is there any way, short of pulling the harddrive out of the PC and putting it in an other one, of opening his old My Documents folder?

If you don't have local admin on the pc - nope, not a chance, you will only make things worse. Not even pulling the drive will do it!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by SirWise
    Our summer intern left last week. When he left, his user ID was disabled in the network. Problem is, he never sent all his work files over to us, and now, I can't get into his My Documents folder, my access is denied. I don't have Admin on the PC. I need the files today, and if I have to open up a ticket, I won't get it until Thursday. Is there any way, short of pulling the harddrive out of the PC and putting it in an other one, of opening his old My Documents folder?

Nope, if you don't have admin rights (DOmain or local) you're out of luck with conventional means.

If you open an emergency ticket you should be able to get faster turn around than 3 days.. Most SLA's, including internal ones are 2 to 4 hour turnaround for emergency issues. Is it an important deadline or something? If so, that should be enough to escalate the ticket.

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    Like Noo said, even throwing it in another machine, the folders are still going to have permissions assigned, so u won't even be able to access them that way. You need somebody with admin rights.

There is one other option, but it involves pulling the cover off of the hard drive and using a felt tip pen to black out the permissions section on the 2nd platter of the hard drive............................................. .........just kidding!

Is this an XP machine? Are you referring to your account when you say you do not have admin rights, or that you cannot access the administrator account on the machine? If this is XP, try safe mode and try to login as Administrator. It is amazing how many XP machines get setup without an Administrator password. May not help, but its worth a few minutes to try if you really need the material.

Quote Originally Posted by SirWise
    Well Guy if you are able to log on locally to the machine as admin then you will be able to get the documents out of his My Documents folder. Otherwise you could try this Offline NT Password which will let you change the admin password if you don't know it. If you don't want to follow the complex part of using this program and just want it ready to go you can download Ultimat Boot CD where the program is already to go, just burn to CD and reboot machine. If you don't know what you are doing however, leave it up to your "trained" people to get the files.
    Mess with the best, Die like the Rest.