display size won't change

Thread: display size won't change

display size won't change

I formatted and reinstalled WIN98SE on my Toshiba Satellite 1800-S203-- now the screen display size won't highlight so that it can be adjusted. It is at 640 X 480. I found that I have a "Toshiba internal 1024 X768 panel" -- In device manager, the driver loaded was a "Plug and Play Monitor" -- I tried changing the driver to the "Standard Monitor types" and used as the Model- Laptop display panel (1024 X 768) and nothing changed, but that is where I have left it.
    I had downloaded a Trident driver from Toshiba web site and it brought up the full display size-- and showed 2 monitors. I removed it, wanting to do it right. I am very new at this, as you can tell.

I had downloaded a Trident driver from Toshiba web site and it brought up the full display size-- and showed 2 monitors. I removed it, wanting to do it right. I am very new at this, as you can tell.
    It is not entirely clear what "it" is (see bold section above).

Having installed the video driver, can you now change the screen resolution from 640x480?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    It is not entirely clear what "it" is (see bold section above).

Having installed the video driver, can you now change the screen resolution from 640x480?
    Sorry, for not being clear. I removed the Trident driver, since it was not the right one-- it showed to be a "second"-external monitor... I just have the panel on the notebook.

you probably have a tv out or a monitor out as well - which is where the 2nd monitor install came from

Did you download it from toshiba support? this one?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

you probably have a tv out or a monitor out as well - which is where the 2nd monitor install came from

Did you download it from toshiba support? this one?
    Yes, that is the one that I downloaded/installed/deleted. Like I said, I did have full use of the display after I had it. I didn't mention that I had many problems after the 1st format/reinstallation of Windows, so I formatted again and reinstalled. That was when I got rid of the Cyber monitor driver. Should I download it again and just use it, since it worked??

Quote Originally Posted by whistle
    Yes, that is the one that I downloaded/installed/deleted. Like I said, I did have full use of the display after I had it. I didn't mention that I had many problems after the 1st format/reinstallation of Windows, so I formatted again and reinstalled. That was when I got rid of the Cyber monitor driver. Should I download it again and just use it, since it worked??
    If you right click on a process, a menu will pop up with the Term "Affinity", or something like that. There you will be able to see if you can select whether or not a process uses cpu1,2 etc.

Quote Originally Posted by whistle
    Yes

Yes
    I reloaded the video driver again (about the 14th time) and it finally "took" I guess. Everything seems to be OK now. No error messages at the moment and the screen is full panel .... Thanks so much for the help!!

How exactly do you fix this? I am having problems with the same exact scenario, but the link above is dead and I can't figure it out.

Same thing here, 1800-S203 reformatted and then Win98SE installed, and it's only using the 16 color 640x480 display.

Any ideas how I can fix this? It's very frustrating.

Okay, I got the video driver. The Trident gave me my full screen back.

Now if I can get my audio drivers operating I'll be set. Thanks for the info, it steered me in the right direction.

my pleasure. The link dies because you need to put in the correct model here is the model selector