Failed Captures/JVC GR-D72u
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Failed Captures/JVC GR-D72u

Question Failed Captures/JVC GR-D72u

I have tried to capture video using Windows MovieMaker2, ImageMaker, and WinDV through the FireWire port. All show the same issues. Cam is recognized and controllable by the progams but video capture fails -- no video is shown on preview screen and it remains blank despite showing on the LCD on the cam (JVC GR-D72u). All hardware, cables and ports work fine with other peripherals. I've searched the web and others seem to have this problem using Windows XP, FireWire port, and late model JVC miniDV cams. JVC is as helpful as ever, as is Microsoft. Could there be a driver incompatibility with these JVC cams? Any updated FireWire drivers that may work?

if the camera can be controlled, then the device is properly installed....

You say the capture fails - does it fail with an error message? Is the avi created?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    if the camera can be controlled, then the device is properly installed....

You say the capture fails - does it fail with an error message? Is the avi created?
    The error message it gives in MovieMaker is: "The video was not captured correctly. Verify that your video camera and capture device is configured correctly." Other apps give similar messages. The is no avi created. The timer on the program's screen does not advance no matter how long the tape in the cam rolls, and any allotted file space remains empty. I have speculated that there is a weak link in the chain from the JVC cam to the firewire card to Windows XP to the editing apps. As I mentioned above, all the hardware is in working order with other peripherals. Also, the camcorder has a USB 1.1 connection which works just fine for capturing video. Unfortunately the degradation is unacceptable, as I would like to have top quality video images to edit. Thank God I haven't gotten around to purchasing better editing software like Pinnacle, yet. I tried Pinnacle Studio 9 on a friend's system and had the same problem with a similar error message, though I can't recall the specific wording.

Thanks for your time.

Have you got sp1 or 2 for xp installed?

What motherboard is it?
    What make 1394 firewire card?
    Do you know if the motherboard drivers are correctly loaded?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Exclamation Capture problem but can control DV

This is how I understand the problem and how I got it fixed. I may have the explanation wrong but these are the actions I took.

I hope someone reading this post will know what I am talking about and recommend a program that will work.

I had the same problem in the past, and unfortunately, again in the present.

I have a JVC GR-D72U MiniDV camcorder (DV).

Like other people that have posted at other websites:
    I was excited about my new DV.
    Shot some film and went to my PC to capture, but I would only get a black screen.

I would get the same result in Windows Movie Maker and NeroVision Express. I can control the DV from both WMM and NVE, e.g. play, stop, ff, rew, pause and view it from my DV, but the capture screen on the PC was black. Then after much searching on the web it seemed my problem was the driver. One recommendation was to delete the driver and have Windows XP install it automatically, this didn't work for me. Another option was to download a program from sourceforge (if remember correctly) and install it. By installing the program, it would replaced the drivers. THIS DID WORK FOR ME!

I was so happy... then the other day, Windows XP would not boot. So I reinstalled Windows XP on a new hard drive and moved all my data from my old drive. I thought everything was fine until I tried to capture video from my DV and got the original black screen. I have spent about four hours googling and reading a number of websites to find the program I used from sourceforge that worked for me, but I have not found it

Again, I hope someone reading this post will know what I am talking about and recommend a program that will work.
    TIA

ok do these ring a bell?

virtualdub
    btwincap
    virtualvcr
    Quasar DV Codec
    DVD Styler

After working for several hours with my JVC I finally just gave up and swapped it for a Panasonic. Firewire functions just as it should. Used the same programs I used with the JVC and had no problems what so ever. JVC manual even states that capture with a computer may not work. That was the whole point of me getting a digital camcorder-so I could capture and burn to DVD easier than with analog with the best possible clarity and quality. After my experience I really can honestly advise you looking into trading that thing in.

Quote Originally Posted by abtek
    This is how I understand the problem and how I got it fixed. I may have the explanation wrong but these are the actions I took.

I hope someone reading this post will know what I am talking about and recommend a program that will work.

I had the same problem in the past, and unfortunately, again in the present.

I have a JVC GR-D72U MiniDV camcorder (DV).

Like other people that have posted at other websites:
    I was excited about my new DV.
    Shot some film and went to my PC to capture, but I would only get a black screen.

I would get the same result in Windows Movie Maker and NeroVision Express. I can control the DV from both WMM and NVE, e.g. play, stop, ff, rew, pause and view it from my DV, but the capture screen on the PC was black. Then after much searching on the web it seemed my problem was the driver. One recommendation was to delete the driver and have Windows XP install it automatically, this didn't work for me. Another option was to download a program from sourceforge (if remember correctly) and install it. By installing the program, it would replaced the drivers. THIS DID WORK FOR ME!

I was so happy... then the other day, Windows XP would not boot. So I reinstalled Windows XP on a new hard drive and moved all my data from my old drive. I thought everything was fine until I tried to capture video from my DV and got the original black screen. I have spent about four hours googling and reading a number of websites to find the program I used from sourceforge that worked for me, but I have not found it

Again, I hope someone reading this post will know what I am talking about and recommend a program that will work.
    TIA
    I have the EXACT same issue and I've been a Network engineer for 8 years and I've been racking my brains over this for a while!!! I'm glad I'm not alone, but I'm discouraged that I don't seem to be able to find a fix for this. It did work for me on a couple of occasions, but it's down now. I have Windows XP Pro sp2, 2800+XP, 1GB DDR400 Ram, MSI K7N2-Delta L MB and a PCI Firewire card with 3 ports. Please let me know if you find anything. Can control the camera yet I get nothing in any program.

Welcome to Windrivers iceman

I answered your post in the other thread. Please start your own thread with your system specs and state what capture programs you have tried.

Quote Originally Posted by IceMan565
    I have the EXACT same issue and I've been a Network engineer for 8 years and I've been racking my brains over this for a while!!! I'm glad I'm not alone, but I'm discouraged that I don't seem to be able to find a fix for this. It did work for me on a couple of occasions, but it's down now. I have Windows XP Pro sp2, 2800+XP, 1GB DDR400 Ram, MSI K7N2-Delta L MB and a PCI Firewire card with 3 ports. Please let me know if you find anything. Can control the camera yet I get nothing in any program.
    Sorry for not getting online sooner.
    I found the following program:

OrangeWare WebCamDV

I installed it and then WinXP installed some files. I don't remember if it asked me to put the disc in or if it downloaded from the Internet. (It has been several weeks that I did this.)

And now my DV works just fine!

I don't know if it was the program OrangeWare WebCamDV or the file WinXP installed, but I am using my DV without any issues

Good luck, I hope this works for you too.

BTW,
    I found the OrangeWare software at:

ftp://download.orangeware.com/Setup.exe

It is "trialware" for using your camera as a webcam I believe.

I only installed it to get my DV to work. I don't use the software. I guess I could try to uninstall it, to see if my DV works without it, but I don't want to rock the boat.

It could be it installed a system file or a codec that puts things right for you.

same trouble

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=7][COLOR=Black]I'm having the same problem with my JVC GR-D72U. I'm running Windows XP Pro (with SP 2). With the camera hooked up to my FireWire card (ADaptec AFW-4300), I can control the camera using capture software (ImageMixer 1.7 or Win MovieMaker). The screen on my monitor appears blue initially, then changes to black when I start to capture. If I try to capture, ImageMixer gives me this error message "Recording time too short. Capture canceled" (even though I let it capture for 30 seconds). Win MovieMaker says "The video was not captured correctly. Verify that your video camera and capture device are configured properly".

My camera is listed in My Computer as "AVC compliant DV camcorder". I tried I tried installing the OrangeWare software recommended by abtek, but it didn't seem to make a difference. I also tried removing and reinstalling the camera, but that didn't make a difference either

Exclamation solution!

I have been struggling with a new JVC GR-D72U. In October, I finally got it to work by installing a new version of DirectX from the Microsoft site. I only got it working once and didn't try it again. Since then, I upgraded Pinnacle Studio, and then when I tried to capture, it was broken again. I tried everything. The Microsoft site indicated that there was a fix in SP2 for this exact problem (black preview), so I upgraded. It was still broken. I am now running DirectX 9.0c (don't know what version I got in October, but other forums indicated it worked on 9.0b, but I could not find any way to uninstall DirectX and go back to try it).

Then, I stumbled on a whole bunch of posts from various sources which indicated that there are compatiblity issues with JVC DV and 1394 cards. Apparently, they only work with Texas Instruments chipsets (You may be able to look at your card and see if the chips have a TI logo). This comes from JVC support and elsewhere.

Found the solution here:
    http://www.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/arc.../t-109499.html

I went to CompUSA, and bought a new firewire card for $35, plugged it in and within 5 minutes I was up and working. I wish I could have found a software solution (e.g. getting new drivers), since I have a brand new computer and it burns me that I had to buy another card. But, I have spent 2 days trying to fix this problem and it was easier to do this than pull my hair out for who knows how much longer... and my time was certainly worth more than $35 spent so far!!!

My working configuration is:
    Windows XP SP2
    DirectX 9.0c
    JVC GR-D72u
    Belkin 6-Pin to 4-Pin 1394 Cable
    Belkin FireWire PCI card with Texas Instruments Chipset

Here is the card I bought which works:
    It's in a clear plastic package with white/red insert, "FireWire 3-Port PCI Card" is what it says up top with the Belkin logo to the left. Belkins P/N is F5U503. The UPC # is 722868441442. The CompUSA P/N is 305323. It can also be found on the web at:

http://www.CompUSA.com/products/prod...ct_code=305323

I too have a GR-D72U and am having the same issues.

ill start off with specs.

DFI Lanparty N4F SLI-DR Expert mobo
    2.4ghz AMD 3800+ 64b "Venice" Core
    Onboard Firewire and USB ports on Case(which are connected right, they work for everything else)
    2gb Ram
    7800GT-OC 3d card
    Windows XP x64. i believe sp2 is installed(came with the x64 from a buddy), or sp2 doesnt work on X64. but its fully updated(just went to update site about a hour ago, nothing new)

i am on a firewire port. i can control the camera via ImageMixer or Windows Movie Maker, but when i go to capture, i get a black screen and timer does not advance. when i stop capture i get a error message stating the information is corrupt and did not transfer correctly.

i tried all the above fixes but to no avail.

i used to transfer them through USB on my old dell using Imagemixer. then i found out how to transfer them through Windows Movie Maker(since its a better program to make cool little vids), and never had any issues.

now im on my new pc and with the firewire port just wanted to use that and avoid this driver hassle bullcrap, but no. i have also loaded ImageMixer and was going to load the drivers for the USB(theres 4 i believe that have to be installed in order to use USB) but when i went to do so(using the new hardware wizard) it couldnt find them on the disk. when i explored the disc for them and double clicked their install icons, they stated "can only run in Windows 98". i also tried running them in windows 98 compatibality as a last ditch, but that was a no-go. so now i cant even use the crappy USB mode.

any new fixes or ideas? i have ALOT of footage that i would like to make into a movie.

right now i wish i hadnt erased the HD from my old dell that ran this camera fine.

maybe ill just go buy a actual firewire card that goes straight onto the mobo(instead of the port that came with the case that plugs into the mobo firewire connectors).
    Last edited by thomas91169; July 4th, 2006 at 03:48 AM.