Unable to Write to Disk C Blue Screen Error Msg.

Thread: Unable to Write to Disk C Blue Screen Error Msg.

Unable to Write to Disk C Blue Screen Error Msg.

Hi Gang,

I'm Running Win98Se. I recently installed Comcast Broadband cable. I got lucky and some guy came out today and fixed an earlier installation problem. My connection is much faster but is highly unstable. Every time I recycle my computer I have to unplug and replug in my broadband connection.

However that is not my problem right now. About a week before I installed broadband I got an error message "Unable to Write to Disk C" I ran a thorough scandisk (which I hadn't run in months) and the problem seemed to have corrected itself.

However after I got broadband, a few days ago, it happened again. My hard drive was horribly fragmented so I again ran thorough scandisk and a defrag with Diskeeper Lite and it again seemed to have corrected itself again.

Then it happend again tonight - twice within an hour. Once while I was downloading something and again while I was running RAV online virus scan.

I have two hard drives, C is a WD 20G 72rpm and the D drive is a Seagate 40G 48rpm.

This problem all started about a week after I had a problem with scandisk automatically going into a Thorough Scan after reboot without me prompting it to do so. I thought I had corrected the problem after I deleted the Scandisk.alt file. (Some advice I found on Google)

What's wrong? Do I have a virus? Norton AV, Pest Patrol and Spysweeper by Webroot don't detect anything.

Are my boot files messed up? Norton had been changing them and advising me of the changes.

Is my hard drive failing? Both drives are less than a year old.

Or is it another problem?

Thanks,
    Orangeman
    Bouncy Bouncy

Run the wd diagnostics... sounds like the drive is telling you it's getting ready to blow your data to oblivion.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Hi Noo,

It was a virus. I won't bore you with all the details but it passed all the diagnostics. However the last one was a quick "write to" test. It deleted my boot files. I tried to replace them but I couldn't boot to GoBack and it wouldn't recognize my startup disk.

So I've spent the entire day today reformating my hard drive and starting over. Luckily I had a backup that was three months old. It could have been MUCH WORSE!!!!!

Orange
    Bouncy Bouncy

Quote Originally Posted by Orangeman
    .. tried to replace them but I couldn't boot to GoBack and it wouldn't recognize my startup disk.

So I've spent the entire day today reformating ..
    Disaster dude .. if only a 'little' one !.. but methinks ages ago you asked about goback & I think I described it as the 'spawn of the devil' - now I note it doesn't even work - ha !

I'll just venture this thought, as I have exactly the same opinion of NAV (home users might as well use a free product for how much better any commercial product is - imho) :butt: & you did apparently get a virus ...