Direcway Satellite Internet

Thread: Direcway Satellite Internet

Question Direcway Satellite Internet

Live in a very rural area where you ither use phone modems or holler out the window as loud as you can. Anyway I am going to commit to a service contract next week and I was wondering if any of you have had any experiences with DirecWay?
    http://hns.getdway.com/what_it_is.html

Here are some speed comparisons. Our present download speed is about
    2.8-3.2 so this would be quite a speed boost.

http://www.direcpcsales.com/speed.asp

Price is $599.00 for equipment and install and $59.00 a month for service. Or you can pay $99.00 down and $99.00 a month for 15 months.

Any comments welcome or if you know of a better provider in the US.
    "Everybody needs a little help sometimes"

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    Direcway is the 2 way service, correct? It uses no phone lines. I used to use Direcdish, which was a one way satellite. You used a phone line to request the web pages, and they came via satellite. If you want to do online shoot em up gaming, you will be dissappointed, the latency time is high with satellite. Weather affected the satellite very little here in Cleveland, Oh. After having dial up for so long, the dish was a blessing.
    Sergeant WOTPP

Two Way Sat is okay if you aren't into gaming or need any VPN abilities. Of course it's prone to the same weather issues as a tv sat. But, better than 56K!

WIth the introduction of WiMax, expensive Satellite solutions like this one (they are good for now) will be redundant, but till then....

This would be great, but I am over 100 miles from a metropolition area that would support this. We can't even get our cell phones to work except in a very few places.

But I won't move back to the city just for those services. With satellite TV and satellite Internet I will stay on my mountain by the river. Besides I only have 29 payments left and the place is all mine.
    "Everybody needs a little help sometimes"

Quote Originally Posted by eboyjones
    With satellite TV and satellite Internet I will stay on my mountain by the river. Besides I only have 29 payments left and the place is all mine.
    Anyone not feeling sorry for this guy?

Lol. Good luck with your connection, though I envy you the remote life. Someday i'll be joining you on a rock as near to the Colorado river as I can afford.

*lin*
    I actually voted for John Kerry, before I voted against him.

i had set up a wiresless network for a guy whom just got the DirecWay dish and service installed and it seemed quite good. High speeds and pretty reliable. Inclimate weather affecting satelite T.V. and internet is so minimal, it's almost a thing of the past. It all has to do with the hardware itself. The guy who got it seemed extremely satisfied with it. If I had the loot, i'd bwe there too.
    It's good to be the King.

FEEL Sorry for me! Dial Up for gods sake! And I've said it many times b4, US$110 for 256k No Cap DSL where i Live

Cool

I used Direcway for about two years, I was at 18200 ft. from the CO. I looked at IDSL but SAT was cheaper. The new DW6000 system is simliar to a Cable or DSL modem. With the older systems, you had to make a connection via a USB modem and have client proxy software installed to use it. Sharing the connection was a pain in the :butt: The SAT is find if your just web surfing anything else is iffy. Beware of FAP (Fair Access Policy) it limits your download to 180 megs per hour, if you go over you connections gets brought down to a 28.8 connection for up to 6 hours (sucks)

Check out the Direcway forum over at www.dslreports.com they have alot of useful information and tweaks

I just moved back into town and I m on cable at 3meg and life is great

Good luck.
    Last edited by SoJo; September 3rd, 2004 at 01:37 PM.
    "He didn't hit ya, He didn't bump ya, He Rub ya, and Rubin Son is Racing" -Days of Thunder