pci.sys- 0X07E stop screen on XP install - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: pci.sys- 0X07E stop screen on XP install

Welcome to Windrivers Semperfireno

Did you press f6 to install the SATA drivers at the very beginning of the install when it is copying files?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I am not sure how that is done. I recieved a cd with my hd but it wants a floppy when I hit f6. how do i get around that?

You have to give it a floppy... or you slipstream the appropriate drivers onto the xp cd.

The drivers might already be on the xp cd if it is the standard intel sata drivers. In that case you press f6 and then when it asks you for the floppy it might offer a driver as well.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by semperfireno View Post
    I am not sure how that is done. I recieved a cd with my hd but it wants a floppy when I hit f6. how do i get around that?
    XP won't let you out of using a diskette for the drivers. Most motherboard driver CDs are bootable and offer the option to create a driver diskette for XP. Just boot off the motherboard driver disk and follow the instructions. If you don't have a diskette drive installed, you can use an external drive.

quick fix for Pci.sys error that worked for me.

Ok I also made the slipstream WinXp with service pack 2 which in my case took forever. Installed the XP with SP2 on a new hard drive since I assumed the data on my old hard drive and XP would be lost or nonfunctional.

What worked was easier than described elsewhere so here we go:

1) get a copy of windows xp with service pack 2

2) boot from the CD

3) once the blue setup screen starts choose the "repair" option instead of a new installation.

4) this will bring you to a c: prompt

5) run "chkdsk" (I can't remember if I added. the .exe ending or just typed chkdsk)

6) if no problems are found - run "fixboot"
    you will be asked if you are sure you wish to do so - answer yes of course

7) Restart the computer - booting from the C: not the CD!

8) Windows should come up with different boot options - Choose "Safe Mode" not the regular boot

9) After Windows has loaded - reboot / restart once again

10) - Windows XP boots back up normally and all the programs run normally once again, and your data is still there!!!

11) Ta Da!

This worked for me, so I'd suggest you try this first before doing the whole windows xp reinstall (and having to reinstall all your programs again!). If it does not work for you, you can always go to plan B - a complete reinstallation of XP with a complete reinstallation of all your programs.

Welcome to Windrivers quibb

Yes that would work because you are using a Windows XP SP2 cd. Most people get this message because they use a Windows XP SP1 or earlier CD... but I think you might be saying that you started with pre SP2 cd and then repaired the installation with a SP2 CD.

the BSOD 0X07E PCI.sys means the Windows XP install CD doesn't support the mainboard in your computer. What I would suggest is look at the Windows CD and see what service pack is installed if it says 2002 that means the CD doesn't come with the service pack. from another computer download SP3 and use Nlite to slipstream it into a CD.

Hello goofyonekenobi, welcome to WinDrivers. You might have overlooked that the post you're replying to is from nearly two years ago.