READ: Thanks, Linux

Thread: READ: Thanks, Linux

READ: Thanks, Linux

Is Linus Torvalds secretly working for Microsoft? That sounds crazy until you consider that lately, the free operating system he created, Linux, has been helping Microsoft close deals.

Consider the deal that Microsoft snagged with the London borough of Newham, announced in early August. Looking to overhaul their computer systems, the Brits originally planned to dump Microsoft's Windows and switch to open-source programs, including Linux. But when they commissioned a study to evaluate costs, they found it would be cheaper to stick with Windows. So they signed on for a 10-year deal.

How could "free" Linux cost more than Windows? First of all, Red Hat, the leading Linux distributor, now charges $799 to $2,499 for each server running Linux. That's not for the software, mind you, but for "maintenance." Semantics aside, you're paying for Linux.

Add in the cost of retraining users and IT staff, rewriting applications to run on Linux, and the cost of paying separately for programs like application servers, Web servers and directories (which come bundled with Windows). You also may need to pay consultants to stitch the pieces together, and you might need to buy insurance to protect you against lawsuits over intellectual property rights. (One outfit hawks such policies for $150,000 year.)
    View: Full Story

[/QUOTE] Add in the cost of retraining users and IT staff, rewriting applications to run on Linux, and the cost of paying separately for programs like application servers, Web servers and directories (which come bundled with Windows). You also may need to pay consultants to stitch the pieces together, and you might need to buy insurance to protect you against lawsuits over intellectual property rights. (One outfit hawks such policies for $150,000 year.) View: Full Story[/QUOTE]

HAHAHAHAHAHHA. Thanks Techz, needed a laugh this morning. I always love "articles" that are just thinly veiled attempts at discrediting compition. "Cost of paying seperately for programs like applications servers, web servers and directories (which come bundled with windows)." That's a laugh. Windows 2000 server costs about as redhat linux WITHOUT exchange or IIS installed. Every distrubition of linux (redhat, debian, slackware) comes with all of those and more (ftp servers, ntp servers, ssh, SQL server, etc....) Buy insurance to protect yourself from IP rights issues? That BullSpit that SCO is spewing? They don't even believe their own crap.
    How about buying insurance for windows inherent security flaws to recoup your damages when your server goes down. How about the cost of paying a consultant to patch your MS server and keep it running everytime a new flaw is found.

We got a word for articles like that (and by 'we' I don't only mean the linux community but tech in general) it's FUD!!!
    Today, a haiku:

Google, you f**ktard
    my fingers are so weary
    of repeating crap

Novell works out much cheaper!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Novell works out much cheaper!
    pencil and paper even cheaper, although you probably retrain your staff on how to write again.
    I'd rather be riding my motorcycle
    "I gotta have more cowbell, baby" Bruce Dickinson(Christopher Walken)

Quote Originally Posted by thirdfey
    pencil and paper even cheaper, although you probably retrain your staff on how to write again.

My handwriting sucks, I would have to hire a secretary to write crap for me. Linux or MS or novell is definately cheaper.

And who ever heard of a tech with a Secretary anyway
    WOTPP Recruit.

http://www.lp.org/ http://www.badnarik.org/