[RESOLVED] PC Chips Motherbpard

Thread: [RESOLVED] PC Chips Motherbpard

Needy

Unhappy PC Chips Motherbpard

I want to upgrade my Bios my motherboardID:51-0831-001437-00101111-071595-M571H I have checked PC Chips web site for upgrade but there are 4 there. Not sure which one I need. HELP Please

There should be a model # printed on your motherboard some where... looks like M571 , etc

give us that info , and we will get you a bios.
    Life is good...sometimes...

Smile

I have a similar board (I didn't know any better)and unless you need to update it to make a piece of new hardware work then I wouldn't flash the BIOS. I did and the performance did not increase at all. If you are trying to tweak your system you will get better performance by tweaking the OS.
    You can also download files from PCWare site, PCWave site and at www.pcchips.nl (Europe). Good luck!

The last # does stand for the M571 board. My numbers are slightly different but I have the AMI BIOS and the latest release I have found is 990421s. You have to click on the file to download to see name of file. The different sites sometimes list the ROM file by different name. You also need the flash utility, in my case I used Amifl818. The utility should also tell you if you have an updated BIOS when you try to flash it. Remember to go into setup and reconfigure your system if you are using cutom settings. Flashing resets it to default and can be fun if your hardware needs the custom settings.

[This message has been edited by DR (edited October 30, 2000).]
    Computers follow your orders, not your intentions.

Man , i mustve been tired when i wrote that... DUH...

cant belive i missed that.
    Life is good...sometimes...

Silverman

Also there are several versions of this mainboard if you flash it with the wrong version it becomes a christmas tree ornament.

Smile

Then the cat knocks it off of the Christmas tree and plays with it, Uh oh capacitors all over the place

------------------
    Format c I'm givin er all she's got cap'in !!! )
    Format c I'm givin er all she's got cap'in !!! )

Boeab

version 3.2 or 5 printed on corner of mb nexet to keyboard socket if I remember correctly, be sure you have the right bin file number before you download I have seen the ver5 bin file linked to the ver3.2 bios update page on the pcchips site around late 1998-99 (err human)and yes I killed the bios! I went back to the site and found two different bin files depending from which page I followed the link from .I dont feel half as annoyed about it now that maybe I have saved someone from the same misfortune. cheers
    ps I did email pcchips about this at the time.

[This message has been edited by Boeab (edited November 24, 2000).]