Win98se not recognizing modem drivers

Thread: Win98se not recognizing modem drivers

Angry Win98se not recognizing modem drivers

Have an old PC (running Win98se) that I had to rebuild. When trying to reinstall drivers for the DSL modem (Westell Wirespeed 2000 series), system says it cannot find them (but my XP and ME systems can see the drivers on the CD). Same deal for the Linksys router drivers. ISP (Verizon) tech support says this is a fairly common problem when users have to reinstall Win98se, but couldn't tell me how to fix it. Any ideas?

Welcome to windrivers Tunia. Is your DSL modem usb or ethernet? The model you specified is ethernet and would have no driver. If it is usb, please provide the exact model number. Similarly, the router would not typically have a driver. It would have configuration software, or an IP address to bring up the configuration screen.

You may need a PPPoE driver. If you are using a router, then the PPPoE driver should be built in. Otherwise, I recommend using RASPPPOE, rather than the WinPOET software Verizon provides.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Forgive my ignorance; I'm definitely not a technie. Just trying to fumble my way through this restore process. The Westell modem has lights for usb and ethernet. My newer PCs connect via ethernet, but the Win98se PC requires a usb/ethernet adapter (Microsoft MN-110 model) to connect. When I called Msoft for support, they told me the problem was that I needed to install drivers for the modem, but Win98se won't "see" the files on the disk. Verizon tells me the trouble is common with reinstalls of Win98se -- that I need to speak with Msoft, but Msoft won't offer phone support for Win98se any longer. Ever hear of this before?

If the modem is connected via ethernet cable, then there should be no driver needed. The driver is only needed if you connect via usb cable. Frankly, you would have been better served simply to get an ethernet card for your pc.

If the modem supports usb connection, then you don't need the usb/ethernet adapter. The model 2000 you specified is ethernet only - no usb. If your modem has a usb port, then it is a different model. Check the underside of your modem for a longer model number.

If you are connecting via ethernet cable through the usb/ethernet adapter, then you need the driver for the adapter, not the modem. This should be it: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=33104. The manual for the adapter is here: http://download.microsoft.com/downlo..._guide_110.pdf.

I've had Verizon dsl service for 3 years, and while their service is very good, their first level support doesn't always know what they are talking about. There's nothing common about 98se not "seeing" drivers.

As far as msoft, they only ended free telephone support for 98se - paid support is available through June 2006. Not entirely unreasonable for a 5 year old product.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.