Web server on Win2K

Thread: Web server on Win2K

Web server on Win2K

I am running a web server and ftp sever on Windows 2000 Pro and running IIS 5. By the way it's a Home with a cable modem. So far I and running it with only ip. Like ftp://66.200.2.78/ I am using http://www.dot.tk/ to redirect to my ip. How do I make the ftp say my domain name in stead of the ip.(On the top at login) So one stead fix the Host Header but when I do put the domain it says "There is no sever running in the domain.

Quote Originally Posted by esnetsc
    I am running a web server and ftp sever on Windows 2000 Pro and running IIS 5. By the way it's a Home with a cable modem. So far I and running it with only ip. Like ftp://66.200.2.78/ I am using http://www.dot.tk/ to redirect to my ip. How do I make the ftp say my domain name in stead of the ip.(On the top at login) So one stead fix the Host Header but when I do put the domain it says "There is no sever running in the domain.
    I would have to check at home to see for sure, however, i suspect that your going to need to host the domain fully so that you don't use a redirect. If memory serves me correctly, the FTP server displays there whatever name/ip you used to connect. Since your redirect is going to the IP, it shows the IP. You would have to make arrangements for full hosting of the domain name. This would allow you to stop using a redirect and correct the problem.

To confirm this however, I'll have to get back to you.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Quote Originally Posted by Matridom
    I would have to check at home to see for sure, however, i suspect that your going to need to host the domain fully so that you don't use a redirect. If memory serves me correctly, the FTP server displays there whatever name/ip you used to connect. Since your redirect is going to the IP, it shows the IP. You would have to make arrangements for full hosting of the domain name. This would allow you to stop using a redirect and correct the problem.

To confirm this however, I'll have to get back to you.

Do you were I can get a cheap hosting. I just want to make the domain to to my web server at home. Instead of always typing the ip.

Quote Originally Posted by esnetsc
    Do you were I can get a cheap hosting. I just want to make the domain to to my web server at home. Instead of always typing the ip.
    www.dyndns.org
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."