firewire problem

Thread: firewire problem

firewire problem

I have an acer computer. Motherboard number MCP61M-AM-6A61KE11C-00

When I try to connect to my Canon ZR850 camcorder,I get the message "No devices found"

Hi, welcome to WinDrivers. Some things it would help us to know:

Does the camera connect successfully to another computer?

What Operating System is the Acer running?

What are you using to access the camera, that is, what is giving the "No Devices Found" message?

firewire

I am running Windows 7. I do not have another computer to try to connect with. I am using CameraWindow from Cannon.

I looked up your camera and on the link for the device states "There is no driver for the OS Version you selected. The driver may be included in your OS or you may not need a driver."
    Side note, if you are using a machine that has more than one video input device it could be a hardware conflict between the two. However since Canon's site states that there are no drivers available I'm almost inclined to think the device isn't supported on Win7.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

If the info you are trying to retrieve is actually stored on a MMC or SD memory card in the camera, you could remove the memory card, insert it into a USB adapter, insert the USB adapter into your computer and then use Windows Explorer (My Computer) to browse what's on the memory card. Here are some examples of the little, roughly $5, SD/MMC USB Adapters.
    --
    Doc
    ___________Microsoft Safety & Security Center___________
    \____________________ ____.-.____ ____________________/
    \_____________\ -._)!(_.- /_____________/
    \_______\. ~\ /~ ./_______/
    \_______/

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" -Blaise Pascal

The video is stored on a mini tape. The manual says to use firewire cable.

CameraWindow (at least the current version...) is stated to be Win7 compatible, so if the Firewire device shows as OK in Device Manager, I'd be looking for another computer with Firewire to confirm that the camera worked on it. Firewire chips in MiniDV cameras were fragile and easy to kill with ESD (static zap). If the camera has simply stopped functioning as a Firewire device, you could waste a lot of time trying to get your computer to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by cider View Post

The video is stored on a mini tape.
    That's a bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by cider View Post
    The manual says to use firewire cable.
    I believe the Canon ZR850 comes with a "IFC-300PCU USB Cable", with a "Mini-B plug" on one end for inserting into the camera and a "Standard-A plug" on the other end for inserting into a USB port on a computer.

Like this one: Amazon.com - Canon USB Cable IFC-300PCU - $0.99

Are you sure the cable is good?
    --
    Doc
    \_______/

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" -Blaise Pascal

It's pretty normal for MiniDV cameras to transfer video per FireWire and only still images and card recordings over USB. Movies from the tape have to be captured as a real-time data stream, so they rely on FireWire's stream integrity protocol. Data stored as files, thus not requiring streaming, are transferred on the USB.

USB could be something to try, but as cider has observed, the instructions say "You can transfer recordings to a computer using the DV terminal" and "You can transfer still images and movie clips recorded on the memory card to a computer using the supplied USB cable".

The point about the cable is a good one, the tiny connectors in the plugs/sockets can get damaged, or a wire can fracture.

The fact that it only comes with a USB cable was taken from the Canon ZR850 Manual, Page 11, "Supplied Accessories" list:

--
    Doc
    \_______/

The firewire cable is not included. It has to be purchased. I did find out that the driver was not starting in device driver. Microsoft said to go to the legacy driver. I did that and the driver now starts. But the camera is still not found.