What Monitor to get ??

Thread: What Monitor to get ??

What Monitor to get ??

Here is my senorio:
    I'm using one VGA monitor for two computer using a switch. I would like to purchase a new monitor to replace my old VGA with the new LCD flat screen ones. I was looking at the ViewSonic VP201S 20.1'' LCD Monitor
    (20.1'', 1600x1200, DVI, PC/Mac).
    I believe I need a monitor that will plug in to the switch like the VGA does with it's pin end.
    Is there LCD monitor that will do this. Or do I need a different setup to be able to get a new LCD and run my two computers which one is Win 98 and the other is XP pro.
    Thank you !!!
    Twigs

According to Viewsonic info about that model, it has both a normal vga connector and a DVI connector, so to continue to use it with your switch you would just need to use the normal VGA. Might not be as good a picture, but it will still look very nice. I've never used an LCD with a switch, so I don't know if there are any other incompatibilities to look for, but you sound like you should be okay with what you got!

Also, if one computer has a regular vga and the other a DVI, you could hook each cable up to a different computer, then just switch the input on the monitor from one to the other. Simple solution for the video...you can still use your KVM too, but you'll have to remember to switch both instead of just one.

Quote Originally Posted by InTheWayBoy
    According to Viewsonic info about that model, it has both a normal vga connector and a DVI connector, so to continue to use it with your switch you would just need to use the normal VGA. Might not be as good a picture, but it will still look very nice. I've never used an LCD with a switch, so I don't know if there are any other incompatibilities to look for, but you sound like you should be okay with what you got!

Also, if one computer has a regular vga and the other a DVI, you could hook each cable up to a different computer, then just switch the input on the monitor from one to the other. Simple solution for the video...you can still use your KVM too, but you'll have to remember to switch both instead of just one.
    That is a great and idea. I believe my XP has a DVI input. How would I know ? What does a DVI input looked like on the video card.
    Thank you !!!
    Twigs

Check this link:

http://www.hardocp.com/images/articl...inO_1_10_l.jpg

The black circle is svideo, the white one is DVI, and the blue one is standard VGA.

Quote Originally Posted by InTheWayBoy
    Check this link:

http://www.hardocp.com/images/articl...inO_1_10_l.jpg

The black circle is svideo, the white one is DVI, and the blue one is standard VGA.
    Thank you so much !!
    I haven't played with the new stuff lately. So I'm a little rusty.
    I'll check out my XP and see.

What do think of this Dell 2001FP Grey 20.1" LCD Monitor
    (20.1", 1600x1200, 60Hz, 0.255mm, DVI, PC) I think it will do the VGA connection.
    Last edited by Twigs; September 7th, 2004 at 10:15 AM.
    Thank you !!!
    Twigs

I'm by no means an expert on LCD monitors, but I recently got a refurbished HP Pavilion f1703 17" and it's just great. It plugs into my Belkin 4-port switch, and I'm using it between 2 boxes (Win98 and Win2K Pro).

Quote Originally Posted by Twigs
    ..I haven't played with the new stuff lately. So I'm a little rusty...

What do think of this Dell 2001FP Grey 20.1" LCD Monitor ...
    I think they are bloody expensive ! That's what I think .. Remember when they say a size they mean it with LCD, not like with CRT where 21" can mean anything between that viewable & as little as 19" .. (you may get away with less screen size than you anticipate ? )

The 'magic numbers' for LCD are 'response rate' 16-25 ms is typical, 12 good & 8 or less 'fantastic' (forget all about refresh rates & hz & dot pitches & whatnot - all different !) & also 'contrast ratio', you want 450:1 or greater. Also check viewing angle.(LCD needs to be viewed much more 'straight on' than CRT) Greater than or equal to 160 degrees..

& Check 'whoevers' bad/dead pixel terms very, very carefully - all the manufacturers seem to have varied & different policies as what counts as 'acceptable' & what not, your average customer thinks none, your average seller has a completely different notion !

Quote Originally Posted by HeddaLora
    I'm by no means an expert on LCD monitors, but I recently got a refurbished HP Pavilion f1703 17" and it's just great. It plugs into my Belkin 4-port switch, and I'm using it between 2 boxes (Win98 and Win2K Pro).
    Welcome to the forums HeddaLora & ta for the confirmation on this working with a KVM

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    I think they are bloody expensive ! That's what I think .. Remember when they say a size they mean it with LCD, not like with CRT where 21" can mean anything between that viewable & as little as 19" .. (you may get away with less screen size than you anticipate ? )

The 'magic numbers' for LCD are 'response rate' 16-25 ms is typical, 12 good & 8 or less 'fantastic' (forget all about refresh rates & hz & dot pitches & whatnot - all different !) & also 'contrast ratio', you want 450:1 or greater. Also check viewing angle.(LCD needs to be viewed much more 'straight on' than CRT) Greater than or equal to 160 degrees..

& Check 'whoevers' bad/dead pixel terms very, very carefully - all the manufacturers seem to have varied & different policies as what counts as 'acceptable' & what not, your average customer thinks none, your average seller has a completely different notion !

Thanks a real bunch !! Now I need to go do my homework and figure which monitor I should get.
    Thank you !!!
    Twigs