Nero V 5.5 not recognizing Sony burner

Thread: Nero V 5.5 not recognizing Sony burner

Nero V 5.5 not recognizing Sony burner

I have just purchased a new Sony DVD RW burner model # DWU18A
    and my Nero Version 5.5.9.9 does not detect it it only shows the image writer.
    Any ideas on how I can get it to work is there a driver that I need to download ?
    Any help would be appreciated .

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Aek
    I have just purchased a new Sony DVD RW burner model # DWU18A
    and my Nero Version 5.5.9.9 does not detect it it only shows the image writer.
    Any ideas on how I can get it to work is there a driver that I need to download ?
    Any help would be appreciated .

Thanks in advance
    Hi Aek, and welcome to Windrivers.

Well, you can go to http://www.ahead.de
    and look for an update. But I have a question or two:

1) Did some software come with the Burner? My sony came with Sonic Record Now, which works really well once you learn the interface.

2) Did your version of NERO come bundled with a previous CDRW drive? If so, it is likely that it will not work with the Sony.

3) Is Windows detecting the drive, and is the Jumper block set properly?

4) Have you told NERO to select a different drive?

Let us know
    If only you knew what's inside of me now,
    You wouldn't want to know me, somehow.

Supported by versions 5.5.10.55/6.0.0.21 or above

Thanks for the response guys. My Nero came bundled with an LG burner I bought last year. The Sony did'nt come with anything. I guess I'll have to go out and buy Version 6.0 .Well that sucks since here it costs $100. Oh well

If you have a licenced version 5 you should be able to update it to the latest edition of that version for free.
    5.5.10.56 being the last

Once again many thanks. This worked I took the update now it recognizes it. Funny thing is I went to www.nero.com but there were no updates for my version. I noticed your link is from nero.de. Nevertheless she works.
    Glad I joined this site, it resolved my issues.
    Last edited by Aek; September 5th, 2004 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    If you have a licenced version 5 you should be able to update it to the latest edition of that version for free.
    5.5.10.56 being the last
    So its worth noting that if you have any 'locked' (player specific) version then you can unlock that to its full version with this, & makes me wonder why they ship it locked at all ? thats a handy hint then if the us version doesn't have that for download

Don't know about that ed I thought the serials were different to differentiate a drive locked version to an OEM.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Don't know about that ed I thought the serials were different to differentiate a drive locked version to an OEM.
    Has it not just worked ?
    My Nero came bundled with an LG burner I bought last year.
    Hence why I was confus-ed about them being locked - else he means he had a retail copy chucked in ?

I dunno for sure about the serials, I shall see if I've got both the retail & locked of one series & report back -unless someone knows for sure ?

The reason I mention it is I upgraded a system complete with a reinstall last year and changed the burner at the same time.When it came time to reinstall Nero it complained about the new make and refused to install.
    Now whether it would work if it was already installed then upgraded is another question but as I say I presumed the serial built into the locked version kept it so even after an upgrade.
    Last edited by Archer; September 6th, 2004 at 06:01 AM.

The serial #'s determine what features show up. You can update the oem version to the latest version, but you don't gain any more functionality. If you pay for the retail version, all you do is change the serial # and the features appear.

Just went through this with a reinstall of nero for my new dvd-rw. I already owned the retail version of nero, but that doesn't come with the dvd video burning plugin. So I installed the express-only oem version (which has the plugin), installed the latest update (which did not change the features from the oem version) then changed the serial # to the retail version. Burning rom and all other features then became available.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

The serial #'s determine what features show up...
    So I couldn't find my retail copy among my cd pile, so I went googling instead..
    12. My Nero version does not include all features. How can that be ?

As you purchased Nero with a recorder, you have an OEM Version that can only be used with the bundled recorder.
    OEM versions are limited versions, which do not contain all features. The manufacturer of the recorder decides about the features of Nero which will be implemented in the
    Nero OEM version that comes with the recorder.
    That means you have purchased a "limited" OEM version of Nero which does not include all features of the full (=retail) version.

If you would like to upgrade your OEM version to a full version, you need to order an upgrade serial number or an upgrade CD.
    You can purchase it directly from our web shop.
    If you want to use it with another one, you need to purchase an Upgrade serial number for 39,99 US$.
    From General FAQs for Nero

So even though you mighn't get other features this is still apparently allowing whatever features you had to now work with all units ? Whether thats true or not its better than the quoted price of $100 !