Upgrade to 'Win200 Pro' has caused driver problems....

Thread: Upgrade to 'Win200 Pro' has caused driver problems....

Angry Upgrade to 'Win200 Pro' has caused driver problems....

I have just re-formatted my hard drive and removed the battery from my BIOS and installed WIN 200 Pro from scratch.

I have A TINY PC, about 4 yrs old, its a
    P111 750MHz 128M SDR DAM,
    On motherboard sound Card : Creative AudioPCI (ES1371,ES1373) (WDM),
    I was running Win 98.

I have tracked some of the common issues other people are having with their PC's in terms of upgrading OS's and drivers and having some success until the other day.

My sound card wasn't working at all, but now it does work, but crackles when i move the mouse or the PC processess some data..... also the CD ROM drive will not play Audio CD's.

In addition, I went to install an ethernet card to improve my broadband use, and created chaos, my computer seems to be struggling and getting confused.

In device manager both;
    Multimedia Controller, and
    Multimedia Video Controller,

are not working, and I have scoured for Drivers and can't find any.

Eventually when the ethernet card seemed to install it is now giving me a Error Code 31 indicating that it is not working due to another device not working.

Is there something simple wrong or should I re-install the system restore disk for my PC and live with Win 98 ?

An 'IT' friend of mine at work had a look and seems to think that there is something fundamentally wrong with the OS and recommend installing XP to see if this sorts it out, else he says my motherboard may be knackered ??

Help !!!

Welcome to WD forums simonwar.

I have A TINY PC, about 4 yrs old, its a
    P111 750MHz 128M SDR DAM,
    Not enough really - can you give us a model number ? - we need to know about the motherboard details, if you can 'tell us no more' then try this Everest - a system utility that will identify it (hopefully) then we should be able to sus your missing bits/fix it up .. (post the log it makes minus any serial numbers )

On the question of which o/s I'd personally say xp is gonna struggle with only that much memory (it meets the minimum specs - but really for xp to be 'alright' you need 256 meg of memory at least & more is better ) - w2k should be ok with this level of memory, but we may find your machine doesn't like that 'really' either (depends on the answer to the first bit without using too much techo-babble)

..An 'IT' friend of mine at work had a look and seems to think that there is something fundamentally wrong with the OS and recommend installing XP to see if this sorts it out, else he says my motherboard may be knackered ??
    I'm sure thats the excuse I use when I want to sell somebody something !

At the end of the day though you may find it better to just move back to 98, but answer & we'll see ..

W2K should live quite happily w/ a P3 750, but 128mb of ram is light. I would recommend a minimum of 256mb, preferably more. I would not recommend XP.

As far as your sound, Creative sold a zillion variations of the ES1371/ES1373 and did not provide W2K/XP drivers for any of them - they say to use the native windows drivers. The problem is that some of these configurations used a Creative chip w/ a codec from another manufacturer, and thus require a custom driver from the motherboard/sound card maker. If we can figure out who made your motherboard, we might be able to track down the correct driver.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Post Computer Information from Everest .....

I tried to Copy and Paste the info, but this forum will not Paste ? Everest gave me more information than I could handle, so I have extracted what I think should help but if you want more i have definately got it...now, and it may be worth me e-mailing the file direct to you .... see how it goes.

Thanks anyway..... here goes.......

Operating System
    MS Windows 2K Pro: Service Pack 3
    IE v5.5
    Direct X 9.0

Motherboard
    CPU Type: Intel PIII, 700MHz (7X100)
    Name : unknown
    Chipset : VIA VT82C693A Apollo Pro133
    System Memory : 128M PC100 SDRAM
    Bios Type : AMI (31/03/2000)

Display:
    Video Adapter: NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro (32MB)
    3D Accelerator : NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 M64

Multimedia
    Audio Adapter : Creative SB PCI128 (Ensoniq ES1371) Sound Card

Also, the Ethernet Adapter i intended to install but had problems with is "Netgear 32Bit PCI Adapter FA311 10/100MBps".... any help with this will be great too.

Hope this is enough.....

Also, I just remembered I had a bit of trouble with my graphics card but successfully downloaded a driver recommended by yourselves last week.... thanks for that it seems OK now.

Also, i noticed that at the bottom of the EVEREST Report, there's lots of Debug Code.... whats this all about do you need it ???

Yours, Simon.

I think tiny must have possibly the worst pc support on the net - hey ho we'll do it the hardway with google..

So what you lifted out of Everest gives us a start ( I dunno why you couldn't manage to paste, but as you say it spits a load out anyway so your edited highlights work out well ) - first thing it tells me/us is that you have a VIA chipset motherboard (they design them not make them, but they unlike tiny have easy to use & find stuff)

So first thing - 'hyperions' aka 4-in-1s found here @VIAArena (pick w2k, chipset or platform driver, you should get to a page with a download on it),

Sound drivers - like hudonsmith quite correctly says 'hard work' - none at tiny for w2k - but I think despite what it says about soundblaster its really an onboard ac97 as part of the apollo pro chipset - try the ones at VIA again so 'audio' from the link above & then I think maybe VIA AC97 codec incorporated into VT82C686A South Bridge - but I ain't certain ..

Video drivers ought to be here at nvidia

See how you do with that lot for now & report back (I pressume you have drivers for your ethernet - they might work after all that lots 'done its stuff')

Motherboard ID .....

Thanks for the info, working on it, however found more details on my BIOS, tried to use it in a motherboard ID search engine and failed to find out more..... any advice ?

Found out a bit more about my PC...

Manufacturer : American Megatrends
    BIOS ID: 62-0331-001169-00101111-071595-VIA69X-1VIA6910
    OEM Sign-On: A6156O1 V2.6 110400
    BIOS Date: 03/31/00
    BIOS Type: AMI
    Chipset: VIA 82C691 rev 68
    Super I/O: Winbond 977TF rev 0 found at port 3F0h
    BIOS ROM Socket: Yes
    BIOS ROM Size: 256K
    Memory Installed: 128 MB
    Memory Max: 2048 MB

EVEREST gave me the following when I reported on 'PCI Devices' ....

Brooktree Bt360 MediaStream Controller,
    Brooktree Bt878 Video Capture Device - Audio Section,
    Creative SC PCI128 Ensoniq ES1371 (as you now),
    MSI MS-8808 Video Adapter,
    VIA AGP Controller,
    VIA VT82C571 IDE Controller,
    VIA VT82C596B PCI-ISA Bridge,
    VIA VT82C596B Power Management Controller,
    VIA VT82C693A Apollo Pro133 Chipset-Host-PCI Bridge (as you know),
    VIA VT83C572 PC-USB Controller

Any more help will be appreciated!

P.S. Impressed with the response on this item, you must be getting paid well.
    Last edited by simonwar; October 6th, 2004 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Found more information ......

Quote Originally Posted by simonwar
    P.S. Impressed with the response on this item, you must be getting paid well.
    I wish - No I do this to help folks who are struggling to fix things, I contract in IT & it keeps me up to speed when I'm at home, nobody gets paid here, the driver database on the main page is a pay service, but that's almost seperate from here. In the technical bits of the forums we try & give good sound answers, but be friendly & maybe take the pee a little & have a grin & perhaps recruit interesting folks for the non technical bits of the place by doing that - when I was bored this morning I was talking politics in another bit !

So that info you just gave me is for a capture card, this bit:-
    Brooktree Bt360 MediaStream Controller,
    Brooktree Bt878 Video Capture Device - Audio Section
    which explains this bit in your opening post :-
    In device manager both;
    Multimedia Controller, and
    Multimedia Video Controller,

are not working, and I have scoured for Drivers and can't find any.
    They had yellow '!'s or red x's or '?'s ...? - drivers for that here

This posts got messy now, so I've got lots of info but am unsure just what is & isn't working ? Confirm for me please
    Last edited by confus-ed; October 6th, 2004 at 05:27 PM.

Wink Progress to date ....

History to date .....

1. Downloaded latest NVidia Drivers for graphics card - all working

2. Downloaded the VIA 4in1 Hyperion Chipset & Platform Driver - no greatly noticeable difference but all working

3. Downloaded the Audio Codec V550a - tried to install but message came up "VIA AC97 Audio Chipset is not found on this system"

4. Using EVERST and BIOS Wizard to find out more about my mobo and got this detail:
    The mobo manufacturer comes up as MicrStar International Co. (MSI)
    62-0331-001169-00101111-071595-VIA69X
    1169 MICRO-STAR INT'L CO., LTD.
    perhaps this will help finding the right Audio drivers

5. Tried to download the Brooktree Bt878 and Bt360 drivers. Could not find any reference to the Bt360 .
    However, when i enabled the drivers (with "!"), in device manager, (i disabled them because my hardware wizard kept trying to find them), and installed the drivers, the device manager indicated a succesful install, but also stated that the device may still not work properly. When i returned to Device Manager, i noticed that the, once two, devices with "!" next to them had become 4 with "!" and my hardware wizard started to cycle through the detection process again. I have disabled them since.

6. I have not tried to re-install the Ethernet Adapter. I thought I'd wait until we are happy with progress to date before adding to the problem any further.

In summary......

Help No.1 getting my Sound Card performing ....

Help No.2 getting my Video TV card performing ....

Help No.3 installing my Ethernet Adapter .....

And to finish off, some help in running a PC optimisation programme, if one exists, to indicate how well my PC is configured and performing.

I don't ask for much do I..... thanks again!

P.S. Good luck for Saturday, Giggsy is gonna run rings around Beckam !
    Last edited by simonwar; October 7th, 2004 at 08:15 AM.

Manual for your motherboard: http://www.msi.com.tw/program/suppor...UID=112&kind=1

Sound driver (2nd one down "Creative ES-1373 Sound Drivers): http://www.msi.com.tw/program/suppor...3&Page=2&num=0
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Good man hudonsmith, I couldn't fathom which board !

Tried to download the Brooktree Bt878 and Bt360 drivers. Could not find any reference to the Bt360
    You might have to try a few different drivers on that page I found you, flyvideo maybe, thats a BT878 chipset -Manufacturers drivers here - one bits the video capture & one bits the sound capture, forming the 878 chipset

Then after all of this we might still run into IRQ allocation issues - so time to get you to report back again (have a go with you NIC {ethernet} now the chipset patch should have helped)