OOER! Removed CMOS Battery & now no post!

Thread: OOER! Removed CMOS Battery & now no post!

Unhappy OOER! Removed CMOS Battery & now no post!

Hello peeps, I have an old time 333Mhz (says A28T on the back) & am keen to learn new skills like 'upgrading!!' Changed the 10GB drive to a 15Gb one - no problem. Changed the 64Mb memory to 256Mb no problem, installed a CDRW drive to work in tandem with the 52 speed drive - no problem. Even got it running a copy of Win XP! - with me so far - good.
    THEN all of a sudden the floppy drive stops working (error code 0c) checked the forums & came across a post which said (I think) - check cable and/or replace drive - done - still the same message, then seem to remember something about remove & replace CMOS battery (re-set CMOS chip?) did that and now NOTHING works.(not blaming the post - just my ineptitude) no post beeps pc led is on HD seems to fire up - monitor led light comes on in the usual way then blank screen forever -any ideas please? I have looked around the forums & tried replacing the memory?

Thank in advance if anyone can offer anything!

Welcome to Windrivers caracante

Please give more details about the motherboard - make and model

You may have put the battery in upside down? the + should be on the top.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Check that you haven't dislodged anything while replacing battery... when you say u have replaced battery, is that with a new one or the existing battery replaced.

Also check you haven't broken off the metal bridge covering the top of the battery.

Check all cables, as you could have simply just pulled out the monitor cable. Take off and reseat....

Is there any display at all?
    "Today is a Gift, thats why they call it the present"

Thanks Chaps!

Thanks for responding so quickly both of you, I'm in work at the moment but will check all & post when I get home tonight. Can remember that the battery is in the right way though & did re seat the monitor cable.

Monitor 'clicks on' as if it's booting up normally, LED come on but then when I'd expect the BIOS info to start nothing happens.

Is the MB card info pretty obivous? seems to be littered with all manner of numbers & letters.

Quote Originally Posted by caracante
    Thanks for responding so quickly both of you, I'm in work at the moment but will check all & post when I get home tonight. Can remember that the battery is in the right way though & did re seat the monitor cable.

Monitor 'clicks on' as if it's booting up normally, LED come on but then when I'd expect the BIOS info to start nothing happens.

Is the MB card info pretty obivous? seems to be littered with all manner of numbers & letters.
    Yeah, you should be able to identify the manufacturer, EPOX, Gigabyte, ASus for example and there will be a model number, usually quite apparent.

Is the graphics on-board or on a card? Do you have any documentation for the PC? There may be a separate reset jumper on the board as well. If you get stuck with identifying the board, take a picture and post and someone will help out in the id.
    "Today is a Gift, thats why they call it the present"

Thanks corturbra

I'll check the MB when I get home & post the info. No docs really as it's a spare one from where I work they were throwing away - integrated graphics and there are a few jumpers on the board. If I can't ID it the yes I'll take a piccy - good idea.
    Thanks again!

Just a little thing to check-make sure that your video card is completely seated. Sometimes when rooting around you can bump your video card and unseat it slightly. Normally this will cause 4 beeps but sometimes nothing at all at post attempt. Also there is a very good possibilty that static could have gotten something. Grounding yourself before touching anything inside your computer is the first and most important thing you can do to prevent damage to your system. If all else fails then I would be happy to give a great place to shop for new stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Neeshac
    Just a little thing to check-make sure that your video card is completely seated. Sometimes when rooting around you can bump your video card and unseat it slightly. Normally this will cause 4 beeps but sometimes nothing at all at post attempt. Also there is a very good possibilty that static could have gotten something. Grounding yourself before touching anything inside your computer is the first and most important thing you can do to prevent damage to your system. If all else fails then I would be happy to give a great place to shop for new stuff.

He said the video was integrated so there is no video card to become unseated. Make sure all cables are secure on the MB. I had a computer do this same thing today and when I opened it I noticed the Floppy cable was only half way in. I pushed it all the way in and it booted right up.

As for your error code with the floppy it is possible that you have overstressed the power supply so it isn't supplying enough power to all the new components you put into it.

What wattage and brand of Power supply is it?
    I'm Homer of Borg...Resistance is fut....Mmmmmm...Donuts...