Windows 98se shutdown

Thread: Windows 98se shutdown

Angry Windows 98se shutdown

I have an emachine 500a with windows 98se os that has recently (well, the last 8 months or so) given me problems with shutting down properly. Everything will go off and it appears to shut down until the end. The drive light and the power button light flash and I can hear what sounds like a fan still running. I've downloaded the supplement from microsoft and it didn't help. Sometimes when I turn the computer back on, it doesn't recognize the keyboard and I have to run shutdown again, unplug the computer for a few seconds and then turn it back on to be able to use the keyboard. I've also done all the shutdown troubleshooting through microsoft and that also hasn't helped.

I got some info that indicates it might be an issue with advanced power management and some instructions on how to disable it but I'm stuck on step one (go figure!). The first step is to go into the BIOS/CMOS setup during startup and that the documentation that came with my computer would tell me how to access it. And, of course, the documentation that I have doesn't do that! Does this sound like an avenue I need to pursue or should I be looking at something else? (By the way, I know just enough about computers to be dangerous so precise instructions, no pictures, please, would be appreciated!)

Many, many thanks to any help!!

To enter the BIOS for MOST E-Machines, it's the delete key as the system is powering on. However, as I don't feel like looking it up to make sure, just power your computer on and begin tapping the delete key, the F1 key and the F2 key. It'll be one of those.

Also, other things to check: The series of EMachine you've got were incredibly notorious for power supply failure. The only way to be /sure/ of course is to replace the power supply with one you know is good. This can be problematic with E Machines, though your best bet is to get a baby ATX power supply (unless you feel like contacting E Machines to get one of theirs).

Besides the things you'll be doing in the BIOS regarding the APM, you should also turn off ALL of the settings in the Windows power management control panel.

Rots of ruck.
    Perseverance in all matters.

Welcome to Windrivers Forums,ShadowRider!

It could happen with any PC running Win98SE, not just with E-Machines, and far not always patch from Microsoft can help... Sometimes disabling fast shutdown in "MSconfig" can help, sometimes it only cause OS reboot instead of shutdown (which is better than freezing anyway)...
    Clean OS re-install usually solves that problem...
    Backup your data and recover OS from recovery CDs what came with your E-machines PC... if you have them...
    Last edited by Ruslan; September 8th, 2004 at 10:03 PM.

click here for the 98 startup/shutdown troubleshooter

It provides step by step instructions
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."