Drive Not Accessible: Incorrect Function

Thread: Drive Not Accessible: Incorrect Function

Drive Not Accessible: Incorrect Function

I've recently installed an NEC-2510A DVD/RW on my PC. It seems to go through the motions of burning data OK (Nero 6.3) but when I try to read the data i've burnt I get an error message:

E: Drive not accessible. Incorrect function

If I try to view the same DVD on my other dvd drive I get the same message.

The drivers for both DVD and DVD/RW are up to date and both drives can play normal DVDs, CDs OK. It's only the data i've burnt that causes the problem.

Any ideas?

Welcome to windrivers mattchina. Do you get any error messages from Nero when you burn, or does it indicate that it has completed successfully? Is it only dvd's or do you have the same problem w/ cdr's? First thing I would do is to try burning at a slower speed. I would also try a different brand of media.

Also, your drive has only been supported in nero since 6.3.1.5. Download the latest update here: http://www.nero.com/en/nero-up.php
    Last edited by hudsonsmith; September 13th, 2004 at 09:39 AM.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonsmith
    Welcome to windrivers mattchina. Do you get any error messages from Nero when you burn, or does it indicate that it has completed successfully? Is it only dvd's or do you have the same problem w/ cdr's? First thing I would do is to try burning at a slower speed. I would also try a different brand of media.

Also, your drive has only been supported in nero since 6.3.1.5. Download the latest update here: http://www.nero.com/en/nero-up.php
    Hi. No error messages from Nero so I assumed all had gone correctly. I haven't tried CDR's and will do so this evening. I think my version of Nero is the latest but will update just in case. Thanks for your help.

Problem Solved

I now seem to have 'solved' the problem, for anyone else with the same issue this is what I did:

I upgraded from Windows Media Player 8 to 9 (the IT guy at work said that Media Player makes some changes to Windows that could help)

I changed my options in Nero to include all types of recorders

I burnt the DVD at a lower speed (thanks Hudsonsmith!)

I'm not sure whether any single change sorted it or whether it was a combination of them all but at least it's now working. Hope this helps someone else.

Thanks for the update mattchina
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."