Philips CDD4801: Unable to Write

Thread: Philips CDD4801: Unable to Write

Philips CDD4801: Unable to Write

I have a Philips CDD4801 drive and I am trying to create Data CDs using Easy CD Creator v4, but failing.
    I've been able to create data CDs in the past, but since I don't use it very often, I'm not really sure when things went bad.

Situation....
    Easy CD Creator recognizes the drive, and it sees the blank CD, and in fact it seems to write to the CD just fine. It writes out all of the tracks, and the little red light blinks on and off in correct intervals the whole time. The problem occurs at the very end when it is "Closing Session" or something like that (it's in Japanese so the translation may be off). It gets to 100%, but the CD drive continues to blink its red light on and off and Easy CD Creator doesn't enable the "Done" button.
    After about 5 minutes after it reaches 100%, it eventually does stop flashing, but it's basically a completely unsable CD.

I've tried using different formats (ISO9660 and Joliet) and different write speeds (2x - 8x) and different ways of closing the CDs. Nothing seems to work.
    I've also tried deinstalling and reinstalling Easy CD Creator to no avail.

NOTE: I was able to create a music CD using the embedded Roxio applet in Windows Media Player.

Welcome to Windrivers kmizuta

Have you tried updating Easy cd? There are a number of updates for version 4

Strangely the roxio applet upsets easycd - if you recently did an update on wmp, was that about the time that easycd quit?

Have you tried other burning software such as www.deepburner.com (they have a free basic burning app as well as a chargeable one).
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I applied the Easy CD Creator patch yesterday and tried again. I successfully created another coaster for my kids to play with .
    I tried updating the firmware, but the software kept complaining about some Adaptec ASPI library that needed to be installed. When I went to Adapatec's site and downloaded the ASPI installation software, it kept on telling me my software was up-to-date.
    It's been such a long time since my last CD creation, but it's very possible that I updated WMP between that time.
    I will give DeepBurner a try. Thanks!

Deep Burner created another coaster.....

ouch, lets look at motherboard drivers - what motherboard or make/model of pc do you have?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

The PC is a Compaq Prescario 5102US.
    Aside from an extra hard drive, there is no extra hardware in the PC (the CD writing problems occurred before the harddrive was added).

The PC originally shipped with Windows ME (English), but I installed Windows 2000 (Japanese). The CD writing did work at one point with Windows 2000.
    Thanks!

What service pack level are you at?

there are a few updates at compaq for you with 2k

It seems to be a via KT133a chipset (after much digging) so update your chipset drivers at viaarena here You want version 4.43 of the chipset/platform drivers.

I gave up. With the price of CD-RW drives these days, I no longer wanted to hassle with this. I bought a new CD-RW drive which came with its own software. I don't know if the problem was the hardware or the software, but that's working fine now. I'll attach the old drive to a Linux box at work and see if I can get it working there...