Windows Update v5 problem

Thread: Windows Update v5 problem

Windows Update v5 problem

New install of XP (with SP1) on a Stinkpad laptop (P2 something or other with 128mb ram). Machine is responding fine, but whenever I go to windowsupdate I get to the first screen with Express or Custom. It doesn't matter which one I choose I get an error message saying "We're sorry" and a few cheap links to the knowledge base with and "Error 0x80072EE2" in the corner. I tried using the Feb2004 Security update CD which installed a buncha updates. Tried it again, didn't work. Then I cleared the IE cache and removed all windowsupdate registry keys, and deleted the WUTEMP folder in the root and the Windowsupdate folder in program files. I rebooted and tried again still nothing. Googled the issue and found microsoft page here:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=836941

Tried all of that and it's still not working. Any ideas?
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

Ok. Very strange. On a whim I decided to replace the PCMCIA network card. I was using a Realtek based card from Startech, and I replaced it with a DLink DFE-690TXD and it started working.... any ideas why it would start working then? I could go elsewhere with the Realtek, even logon to banking websites...
    A nice Thursday curve ball...
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

Did you make sure your clock is set to the correct time?

I've had windows update not work because my clock was off...by years...not just a few minutes. I set the clock to the correct time and then it works fine.

Hmm, more to "Windows Update" failing than just busy? It was hit or miss for us on a network/firewall as soon as XP SP2 came out and gave the new windows update custom or express choices. Backed up my theory by home pc w/o firewall failed same place. Maybe our netadmin took steps to block SP2....

Quote Originally Posted by bftchevy
    Did you make sure your clock is set to the correct time?

I've had windows update not work because my clock was off...by years...not just a few minutes. I set the clock to the correct time and then it works fine.
    I am aware of that issue. If the clock is off by more than 99 days I blieve you get issues. I checked the clock and it was fine.

Quote Originally Posted by machineman
    Hmm, more to "Windows Update" failing than just busy? It was hit or miss for us on a network/firewall as soon as XP SP2 came out and gave the new windows update custom or express choices. Backed up my theory by home pc w/o firewall failed same place. Maybe our netadmin took steps to block SP2....
    I thought about that for a bit when it was happening, but all my other systems I was working on at the same time (seemed to be an XP reinstall day) and they were all updating just fine and dandy. I was avoiding (and still am) SP2 like the plague. Soon as I put in the new card, it sailed along like all the other ocmputers...