Can mobo be salvaged?

Thread: Can mobo be salvaged?

Can mobo be salvaged?

Have K7T Pro-A (MS-6330) board with an 1.2 ghz TBird that has been so reliable the past several years. The other day it suddenly started to lock up and I noticed the distinct smell of burning which was coming from the PS. Powered the machine off and since then would boot up to windows but lock up after about 10 minutes. Took the box apart and found that 3 of the leads(?) on the connector from the PS to the board have burned up and left burnt pieces on the female connector on the board. I think nothing else is wrong with this board except for the connector. Can it be replaced or is it bye-bye to a trusty old friend?

thanks.......d

Quote Originally Posted by naka-pako
    Have K7T Pro-A (MS-6330) board with an 1.2 ghz TBird that has been so reliable the past several years. The other day it suddenly started to lock up and I noticed the distinct smell of burning which was coming from the PS. Powered the machine off and since then would boot up to windows but lock up after about 10 minutes. Took the box apart and found that 3 of the leads(?) on the connector from the PS to the board have burned up and left burnt pieces on the female connector on the board. I think nothing else is wrong with this board except for the connector. Can it be replaced or is it bye-bye to a trusty old friend?

thanks.......d

Is it didn't burn the plug you might clean it, install new psu and give it a try

Computer Madness - Sledgehammers work Wonders!i

Quote Originally Posted by nerd86
    Is it didn't burn the plug you might clean it, install new psu and give it a try

um, the guy is asking for help, not to be put down...

back to the original post. could you possibly get pictures of the connector / board (particularly around the cpu / agp slot?) (http://www.molex.com for replacement connectors btw)

Also, look at the capacitors, are they swollen? bulging? or leaking any kind of brown fluid (electrolyte), if so, then you have some work to do... but it is repairable

But hopefully, the PSU is the only issue you have, possibly a faulty ground or something simular (otherwise I'd suspect the drives where damaged too..)

any problems / questions.. please ask.
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.

Thank you, Garak!
    I've looked at the capacitors and all looks ok. No bulging caps. The drives are ok too. Have already got a new PS. I tried attaching a photo but I get this error:
    The file that you have tried to attach is too big. The maximum size for this filetype is 1 bytes. Your file is 6919 bytes.

I might just have to get a replacement mobo....thanks anyway....d

Quote Originally Posted by daffy86
    IMHO Nerd there seems like he/she were trying to help, what your excuse.

With a few burned pins on the mobo, no other outside indication of failure, no 'hot-spots', I wouldn't hesitate to try a different ps. But I would take out the memory, and disconnect the drives first. No use in tempting fate!
    jerryg
    jeradsyn
    A+/MCPx2

Quote Originally Posted by jeradsyn
    With a few burned pins on the mobo, no other outside indication of failure, no 'hot-spots', I wouldn't hesitate to try a different ps. But I would take out the memory, and disconnect the drives first. No use in tempting fate!
    3 of the 4 leads on the mobo is pretty burned. I tried cleaning the melted plastic out of it but it looks bleak. Unless the female connector on the board can be replaced, I guess it's goodbye.

thanks all.......d

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by naka-pako
    Thank you, Garak!
    I've looked at the capacitors and all looks ok. No bulging caps. The drives are ok too. Have already got a new PS. I tried attaching a photo but I get this error:
    The file that you have tried to attach is too big. The maximum size for this filetype is 1 bytes. Your file is 6919 bytes.

I might just have to get a replacement mobo....thanks anyway....d
    If you wanna post that pic and have nowhere to host, go to http://tinypic.com and they will allow you to host your image without signup or anything
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

I did replace those female connectors few times - some of those repaired boards still working now... But I used "Butane Pensil Torch" for de-soldering defective power connector... (costed about 14CAD in "Canadian Tire")... and I used that tool also for de-soldering good connector from known defective (unrepairable) motherboard... some experience is needed, so, better to practice first on defective boards...

Quote Originally Posted by Ruslan
    I did replace those female connectors few times - some of those repaired boards still working now... But I used "Butane Pensil Torch" for de-soldering defective power connector... (costed about 14CAD in "Canadian Tire")... and I used that tool also for de-soldering good connector from known defective (unrepairable) motherboard... some experience is needed, so, better to practice first on defective boards...
    I think this is a tad too complicated for me. I will just get another board and go on from there.

thank you all....d

Quote Originally Posted by Radical Dreamer
    If you wanna post that pic and have nowhere to host, go to http://tinypic.com and they will allow you to host your image without signup or anything
    Thank you. I will surely keep this site in mind next time.....d