GeForce FX5600 Ultra 128 MB -> Wants to shift from 128 to 64 MB sometimes, causes...

Thread: GeForce FX5600 Ultra 128 MB -> Wants to shift from 128 to 64 MB sometimes, causes...

GeForce FX5600 Ultra 128 MB -> Wants to shift from 128 to 64 MB sometimes, causes...

Alright, I've been having trouble with my video card mentioned above. Whenever I boot the computer up, the info changes between 64 and 128 mb every boot. And whenever it's on 128 MB, the system gives me garbled images, or won't even boot all the way. On 64 MB, it works fine, and can run some 3D games pretty smoothly at high quality (like Halo).

I have Windows XP Home, SP2 (latest update), Direct X 9.0c, VIA chipset (the latest 4-1 drivers installed), 256 MB of DDR Ram, and the latest drivers for my card.

I've also checked it to see if it's connected all the way, tried changing the AGP Apeture from 64 MB to 128 MB and back (putting it on 128 MB just made it boot to 128 mb on every boot, and thus have problems every boot), and I do have onboard video, but I disabled the "Share Video Ram" in the bios, which would disable that video, and doing that removes it from my device manager list.

I just recieved this yesterday. Can somebody tell me what's going on?

Quote Originally Posted by thomasca
    Alright, I've been having trouble with my video card mentioned above. Whenever I boot the computer up, the info changes between 64 and 128 mb every boot. And whenever it's on 128 MB, the system gives me garbled images, or won't even boot all the way. On 64 MB, it works fine, and can run some 3D games pretty smoothly at high quality (like Halo).

I have Windows XP Home, SP2 (latest update), Direct X 9.0c, VIA chipset (the latest 4-1 drivers installed), 256 MB of DDR Ram, and the latest drivers for my card.

I've also checked it to see if it's connected all the way, tried changing the AGP Apeture from 64 MB to 128 MB and back (putting it on 128 MB just made it boot to 128 mb on every boot, and thus have problems every boot), and I do have onboard video, but I disabled the "Share Video Ram" in the bios, which would disable that video, and doing that removes it from my device manager list.

I just recieved this yesterday. Can somebody tell me what's going on?
    I have never seen this before but it sounds to me that the card is bad. I would return it for another one. My guess is that 64mb of the 128mb is bad on the card that is why it is messing up when using the 128mb but not the 64mb.
    I'm Homer of Borg...Resistance is fut....Mmmmmm...Donuts...

Yep. Looks like a bad card. Hopefully you can return it without any trouble.
    The early bird may get the worm; but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    I third the bad card solution. Sounds like some bad memory on the card since its giving you garbled display
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-