Will there ever be an Acrobat Reader that works?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Will there ever be an Acrobat Reader that works?

Will there ever be an Acrobat Reader that works?

I'm starting to be really pissed at this Acrobat junk, not once, on any computer, have I been able to open a pdf without acrobat crashing, or AcroRd32.exe staying in the task manage after you close it until you kill the process yourself or reboot.

I should also mention I always use acrobat inside internet explorer, dunnon if it's as unstable when it's ran by itself, but I'm really sick of it crashing/staying open all the time.

What the he!! are they waiting for to fix this? These bugs have been in all versions AFAIK.

Quote Originally Posted by ClickHere2Surf.com
    I'm starting to be really pissed at this Acrobat junk, not once, on any computer, have I been able to open a pdf without acrobat crashing, or AcroRd32.exe staying in the task manage after you close it until you kill the process yourself or reboot.

I should also mention I always use acrobat inside internet explorer, dunnon if it's as unstable when it's ran by itself, but I'm really sick of it crashing/staying open all the time.

What the he!! are they waiting for to fix this? These bugs have been in all versions AFAIK.
    It must be you, because I don't have problems with Acrobat Reader either inside or outside Internet Explorer. I do recommend that you stick with the older versions - 5.05 is my personal favorite:

http://cgim.adobe.com/acrobat/reader...JustSendFile=Y

You can find all the older versions here:

http://www.adobe.com/products/acroba...r_archive.html

AR 6 works for me, but, like earlier versions, it is slow to load and display - be it in a browser or pdf files already on my machine - which suggests bloat and that it's badly written.

The worst offenders however are the AR programs written for OS other than Windows. Slow and unstable (if they and their translators work at all) they are simply not worth the trouble.

Granted, the Reader is free but sloppy work does nothing to encourage using pdf products or considering Adobe products that use this technology.
    Last edited by bazcook; September 12th, 2004 at 06:35 PM.

I use 5.1 on all my builds/repairs...6.x is a hunk of **** and I hate it! You can get 5.0.5 or something at oldversion.com

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ClickHere2Surf.com

I have found that upgrading to the latest IE and patches stops the crashing.
    Sergeant WOTPP

Adobe 5 was fast, 6 is slow, just use AR SPeedup and it gets fast

6 works great for me

TechZ,

Thanks for the heads up on AR SpeedUp -

http://www.tnk-bootblock.co.uk/prods/misc/index.php

This tiny program certainly helps - though it does pose the question why Adobe does not include such a feature in its Reader. Certainly most of the plug-ins that SpeedUp finds appear to be of little real use in AR as 'read only' program. The only plug-in I did add (over and above SpeedUp's default) was for Adobe eBooks - even though it is a comparatively large plug-in - but even so the loading does happen a lot faster.

Now if Adobe (or another 3rd Party programmer) would do something to add to the stability of their other OS Readers...

Using 6 on two machines w/ no problems. Slow to load initially, but if you keep it open subsequent documents load quickly.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

I think it goes without saying that if you leave a program running, every subsequent use of the program opens faster. Yes?

Hell of a drag on resources though.

Again, I've had no probs per se with AR but it does appear to be awfully top-heavy - hence the s-l-o-w-n-e-s-----s in loading pre AR StartUp - but then, it is free and just about the last program Adobe gets around to doing any real work on.

It does its job adequately. But is that good enough?

I say stick with v5, if u dont have probs, why need an upgraded reader, well only if the new pdf's dont work with v5! People complain about MS bloatware!

Well TechZ, I've got AR 6 now and I'm not going to tempt fate by attempting a rollback to an earlier version!

Meanwhile, I note that there is a far more informative site from which to download AR Startup -

http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/4/2/4-2-60.shtml

And this makes note that the program can used with the Reader back to v4 - so bloatware old or new, there is a partial solution.

Thanks again for the heads up on the program.

WOW!

Thanks for the links, signifigant increase in load time!!
    Failure is not an option -- its a "feature" of Windows.

Mama never told me geekhood was gonna be like this....

I have been having the same problems with Acrobat 6 being slow, so I tried to use the AR speed up program but it gives me the following error:

Component: 'MSCOMCTL.OCX" or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid

I have no idea what this is refering too as Acrobat is working albeit slow to open up.
    "...nothing about us, without us..."

You're possibly getting that error because you don't have it...I know other programs fall victim to this, but they usually start bundling it with the app after a while. Try downloading this:

http://www.javacoolsoftware.net/down...gfilesetup.exe

That should get you going to try the program...I still think the best solution is still to just run 5.1, as I haven't seen anything new that would compel me to upgrade from it.