Lost ICS after running Adaware

Thread: Lost ICS after running Adaware

Lost ICS after running Adaware

Hi,
    I have two PCs. One uses XP Pro and is connected to the internet via cable; the other uses XP Home and is networked to the other using Internet Connection Sharing.
    Everything was fine till I ran Adaware on both machines and now I can't us ICS any more.
    The order I did things was:
    I ran Adaware on the host machine and then installed SP2. Everything went fine and Adaware found lots of things and deleted them.
    On the other one, I had already installed SP2 (using Windows Update) before I ran Adaware. When I ran Adaware, it found 4 critical objects and then popped up a window saying it was going to reboot in 60 seconds, which it did. This happened about 10 times before I got sick of it. The last time, I used the 60 seconds to click cancel on Adaware and proceed to delete the few critical objects it found before it rebooted.
    This seemed to work because when it came back, Adaware was able to run without triggering the reboot.
    But....I can no longer connect to the net. I can still share files but not the net. My local connection says "limited or no connectivity" and when I try to repair it, it times out because it can't renew the IP address because it can't find the DHCP server. I tried giving it an IP adress but it didn't fix it.
    I also tried to install XP Pro over the XP Home os but it won't let me because it says the version of XP Pro is older than the version of XP Home I'm replacing. This is actually true but not helpful. I wasn't game enough to install XP Pro by booting from the CD because it said I'd have to reformat the hard disc.
    I'd be very grateful for any suggestions.
    Thanks
    PS Before anyone asks, yes I do have licences to run XP Pro on both machines. The reason the new one has XP Home is because it came with it and I didn't see any reason to change; until now.
    Last edited by Micky_Steele; September 24th, 2004 at 04:25 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky_Steele
    Hi,
    I have two PCs. One uses XP Pro and is connected to the internet via cable; the other uses XP Home and is networked to the other using Internet Connection Sharing.
    Everything was fine till I ran Adaware on both machines and now I can't us ICS any more.
    The order I did things was:
    I ran Adaware on the host machine and then installed SP2. Everything went fine and Adaware found lots of things and deleted them.
    On the other one, I had already installed SP2 (using Windows Update) before I ran Adaware. When I ran Adaware, it found 4 critical objects and then popped up a window saying it was going to reboot in 60 seconds, which it did. This happened about 10 times before I got sick of it. The last time, I used the 60 seconds to click cancel on Adaware and proceed to delete the few critical objects it found before it rebooted.
    This seemed to work because when it came back, Adaware was able to run without triggering the reboot.
    But....I can no longer connect to the net. I can still share files but not the net. My local connection says "limited or no connectivity" and when I try to repair it, it times out because it can't renew the IP address because it can't find the DHCP server. I tried giving it an IP adress but it didn't fix it.
    I also tried to install XP Pro over the XP Home os but it won't let me because it says the version of XP Pro is older than the version of XP Home I'm replacing. This is actually true but not helpful. I wasn't game enough to install XP Pro by booting from the CD because it said I'd have to reformat the hard disc.
    I'd be very grateful for any suggestions.
    Thanks
    PS Before anyone asks, yes I do have licences to run XP Pro on both machines. The reason the new one has XP Home is because it came with it and I didn't see any reason to change; until now.
    firewalls? ,,,,sp2 set by default ,,,

Quote Originally Posted by freddy
    firewalls? ,,,,sp2 set by default ,,,
    Thanks for the reply.
    I've had the XP firewall on all the time. I think the SP2 firewall is better but for what its worth, I've had one all the time on both machines.

Banned
    Thanks for the reply.
    I've had the XP firewall on all the time. I think the SP2 firewall is better but for what its worth, I've had one all the time on both machines.
    i was lead to believe (i don,t use sp2) ,, that the firewall settings were higher with sp2 ,,,

try backing them down a peg or 2 ,,,and try again ,,,`

the 60sec thing reminds me of msblaster?

removal tool http://irt.stanford.edu/security/how...erremoval.html

can u run an anti virus proggy thru your network? ,,

see also this post http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?t=57348 ,

good luck

freddy

Quote Originally Posted by freddy
    i was lead to believe (i don,t use sp2) ,, that the firewall settings were higher with sp2 ,,,

try backing them down a peg or 2 ,,,and try again ,,,`

the 60sec thing reminds me of msblaster?

removal tool http://irt.stanford.edu/security/how...erremoval.html

can u run an anti virus proggy thru your network? ,,

see also this post http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?t=57348 ,

good luck
    freddy
    Thanks Freddy,
    Before I lost contact with the net, I had McAfee working and fully updated. Its only been about three weeks now and I'm sure that msblaster would have been dealt with if it had been there.
    I'll see if I can get the removal tool anyway, just in case. Lucky file sharing still works because I have to connect to the net on this PC and then fileshare any files I need onto the sick one.
    Thanks

Banned
    Thanks Freddy,
    Before I lost contact with the net, I had McAfee working and fully updated. Its only been about three weeks now and I'm sure that msblaster would have been dealt with if it had been there.
    I'll see if I can get the removal tool anyway, just in case. Lucky file sharing still works because I have to connect to the net on this PC and then fileshare any files I need onto the sick one.
    Thanks
    i know msblaster is a bit old , go to that sticky link i posted ,,,,d/load the proggies , and copy over to faulty machine ,,,i know you will not be able to update them ,,,

see if you can d/load nod32 or grisoft ,,,

give those proggys a run , and get back to us ,, ps : run most of umin safe mode,

alan