Slow Bootup since wireless adapter

Thread: Slow Bootup since wireless adapter

Angry Slow Bootup since wireless adapter

I have a new Fujitsu Laptop running XP home and have installed a Netgear 802.11g wireless adapter. I am using a D-link wireless router. Everything connects ok and took just a few minutes to set-up. However the system now takes in excess of 5 minutes to boot up.

Even when the system has booted it runs slow for a few minutes.

If I take the adapter out it boots ok. I have tried another adapter and that is the same. However both my adapters work in my other laptop (running XP pro).

I have updated the latest firmware, made no difference.

I have tried disabling DHCP and using a static IP address.

Fujitsu are next to useless, saying it's not hardware related so nothing they can do.

This is more than likely related to a service or driver not starting up probably or damage
    press f8 when Windows starting up when the menu appear choose enable boot logging then read this http://windows.about.com/library/weekly/aa041600b.htm

Quote Originally Posted by natcom
    This is more than likely related to a service or driver not starting up probably or damage
    press f8 when Windows starting up when the menu appear choose enable boot logging then read this http://windows.about.com/library/weekly/aa041600b.htm
    Thanks, I'll give it a go. However I have tried various driver version and have tried two separate makes of adapter - obviously both with different drivers. Same problem.

Interestingly the very old driver issued with the adapter didn't cause such as delay as the most recent one. So the problem is related somewhere.

I'm begining to think it's my Laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by Jogardne
    Thanks, I'll give it a go. However I have tried various driver version and have tried two separate makes of adapter - obviously both with different drivers. Same problem.

Interestingly the very old driver issued with the adapter didn't cause such as delay as the most recent one. So the problem is related somewhere.

I'm begining to think it's my Laptop.
    Try looking in Event Viewer (system) and look for a DHCP error. I've had the same problem; come from Windows trying to assing an IP address when one is already there. I set the NIC to the IP in the DHCP error, and the problem went away. I've had this problem with several computers.

Quote Originally Posted by Taz Devil
    Try looking in Event Viewer (system) and look for a DHCP error. I've had the same problem; come from Windows trying to assing an IP address when one is already there. I set the NIC to the IP in the DHCP error, and the problem went away. I've had this problem with several computers.
    Nothing in the event viewer that relates to a DHCP error. Any other ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by natcom
    Tried f8 as you say, but there doesn't appear to be any choice for boot logging - just where you boot from. I have looked for a NTBTlog.TXT file just incse in get create dby default -but nothing.

im not sure if windows xp home have that i know 2000 and xp pro do
    can you check if this problem is the same on safe mode as well ?