Hello
My PCMCIA to USB 2.0 card is working at only USB 1.1 speeds.

I have a Sony PCG-GRX-316MP Laptop. Its about 2 years old, P3 or P4 (cannot remember) 1.4ghz (about), 512mb ram

I purchased a ST Labs PCMCIA to USB 2.0 and firewire card. Has 2 USB 2.0 ports, and 2 firewire. I have the power supply that came with this plugged in.

I have Windows XP Pro SP 1 (not SP 1a, which just removes the Java stuff)

It is up to date with all further patches from Microsoft, but does NOT have SP2.

I have had this card working at USB 2.0 speeds before. When I first purchased it, I struggled to get it to work at USB 2.0 speed. I decided to rebuild the laptop, and it worked at USB 2.0 speed. I left it at that. Now I have rebuilt it again, and it is back at USB 1.1 speed.

I have installed the ALi USB 2.0 driver that came on the disk with the device. Does XP Pro SP1 need this? I am not sure of the version of the ALi Driver, but notice there is an ALi driver on this site. Will check tonight.

To verify this speed, I am using a DOS utility called chddspeed.exe. Not sure where I got it from. Reports about 11 MBps.

Into this USB 2.0 PCMCIA card, I am plugging an external HDD enclosure with a 120gb HDD from Western Digital. The external enclosure is USB 2.0 and firewire. It works at about 25MBps through firewire.

I have also tested this with my Archos 380 80gb HDD MP3 DIVX player. It is USB 2.0

So does anyone have any idea why I would be having these problems?

I have tried uninstalling the devices a couple of times.

Tonight, I plan to uninstall all the USB devices, using the device manager. Then I will un-plug the PCMCIA card, turn off PC, Turn on PC without cardbus, it will detect the built in USB 1.1 hosts. Then I will installt he ALi driver from this site, reboot PC, plug in PCMCIA to USB 2.0 card, and turn on, with fingers crossed

I have tried these externald HDDs both directly to the PCMCIA USB 2.0 card, and through a Belkin powered USB 2.0 hub.

Thanks for any help.
David